Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trashed my Rush mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
TheBagger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trashed my Rush mufflers

Well we tried to remove the damn baffles out of the set of a Rush mufflers and the first attempt has failed. The inside of these pipes are rusted pretty bad and after soaking them all night in PB the first baffle is about a third of the way out and it aint going anymore. Used a 3/4 drive extension and a socket for a driver and after driving it part way with much diffucullty it's not moving. The packing must be getting in between the baffle and the pipe as I can see the side of the muffler dimpling out. If I had a straight torch head I would burn the damn baffle out but I don't. So I just trashed a set of Rush mufflers... Think twice about attempting to replace the baffle packing in these Rush pipes!

I was going to replace the packing and get these pipes ready for a new PC III I just bought from fuel moto. Now I will have to save up for a new set of mufflers...crap.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBagger
Well we tried to remove the damn baffles out of the set of a Rush mufflers and the first attempt has failed. The inside of these pipes are rusted pretty bad and after soaking them all night in PB the first baffle is about a third of the way out and it aint going anymore. Used a 3/4 drive extension and a socket for a driver and after driving it part way with much diffucullty it's not moving. The packing must be getting in between the baffle and the pipe as I can see the side of the muffler dimpling out. If I had a straight torch head I would burn the damn baffle out but I don't. So I just trashed a set of Rush mufflers... Think twice about attempting to replace the baffle packing in these Rush pipes!

I was going to replace the packing and get these pipes ready for a new PC III I just bought from fuel moto. Now I will have to save up for a new set of mufflers...crap.
I went through a similar battle 18 months ago when I replaced the baffles in my Rush mufflers with the Fuel Moto dyno-tuned variety. This was before the Jackpots were created and I've since changed over to them.

The FM baffles had a crossbar for easier removal, although I never had to, but my original Rush baffles didn't have these and it was a wrestling match getting them out.

I've noted that the Fuel Moto Jackpots use an alloy material for their baffles that resist or eliminate rust, although I don't anticipate having to remove these. The baffling material used in the JP's is very durable, and I saw no signs of increased volume or other changes in the 18 months I had them installed.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

Yeah my baffles have that crossbar, I pulled it into a horse shoe shape with a slide hammer puller. Then went to an old 3/4" extension with just the right size socket, put that in the other end and smacked it with a large hammer for over an hour. I managed to pull out most of the packing but this baffle is not coming out, I give up.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

didnt realize the rush baffles were that difficult to remove...

Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

Since I didn't care if I damaged these mufflers I just went ahead and put the first one in a 20T press. I managed to press the baffle out enough to get at all the packing and then beat the damn thing out, but the baffle is toast. The second one came out pretty easy after I got it started with the press.

I used lots of rags around them so they didn't get scratched up, so I think I'll use them again. Just have to get a new baffle. What a pain in the butt this job turned out to be!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I hate to hear that as I was going to pull the baffles and repack mine next weekend. I guess I'll live with them as they are.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

when I had my rush mufflers, I replaced my 2.5 inch baffles with 2" and had a hell of a time. I kept mine on the bike and used a nylon cord with a steel hook on the end and hooked it too the cross bar. I then tied the cord to a nylon hammer handle and after spraying the inside with WD40, started yanking. Though I was gonna have to rip my fingers off. The right one was a lot harder than the left but I got em out. I replaced them before they were too old. Probably the only reason they came out at all. I'll never pull baffles again.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM
billjr
Cruiser

On any rusty steel us isopropyl alcohol put it in a spray bottle and spray it in the mufflers and wait a bit and spray some more just keep spraying and pulling. Something about the the isopropyl alcohol it breaks up the rust. An old man showed me this that had a machine shop and I did not believe that it would work until he showed me, so now I keep several bottles in the shop.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 PM
missile
Tourer

Anytime I remove my baffles I go for a ride and come home while the pipes are hot and put on leather gloves and remove mine. The heat will help things come loose. Try knocking the baffle back in and start pulling and driving back in it will come loose. If it is totally locked up pull the slip on off and try driving it out from the motor end of the baffle.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

Originally Posted by missile
Anytime I remove my baffles I go for a ride and come home while the pipes are hot and put on leather gloves and remove mine. The heat will help things come loose. Try knocking the baffle back in and start pulling and driving back in it will come loose. If it is totally locked up pull the slip on off and try driving it out from the motor end of the baffle.
I used a torch and a rosebud to get the pipe nice and hot and it still would not move without a 20T press. And I was driving it from the motor side.

Quick Reply: Trashed my Rush mufflers