Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trashed my Rush mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
monsterglide2008
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trashed mufflers

I ran into a problem taking my fuel moto baffles out. The trick turned out to be take out the bolt holding the baffle in, fire the bike up and let it get hot. My baffle walked itself half way out and just glided out the rest of the way. I'd put money on if I reved it up the baffle would have shot out.

I tried it cold and thought it would NEVER come out. The outside pipe expand more than the baffle, plus with the engine running the pressure blows the packing down so it doesn't pinch between the baffle and outside pipe.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

Here are some pics of the rusty problem, notice the left side is very rusty. These are Rush Race Series 1 3/4" and 2", that I bought from a guy that said they had 2k on them off a '07 SG. The left side muffler doesn't get used much in this application and it must have got a lot of moisture in it somehow, maybe road hard and put away wet at the end of the season? The packing material rusts to the inside of the muffler, then when you try to push them out it gets stuck in between the baffle flange and the muffler pipe. If the packing didn't rust to the pipe it would have been easy to remove, the right side came out much easier. I'm wondering if a stainless screen would have helped keep the packing from sticking?

Last edited by TheBagger; 05-05-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Don W.
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TheBagger
Well we tried to remove the damn baffles out of the set of a Rush mufflers and the first attempt has failed. The inside of these pipes are rusted pretty bad and after soaking them all night in PB
You soaked them in Peanut Butter???

Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 PM
takeiteasy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like you got the baffles out were you able to clean up the pipes and get the new baffles in, or did you destroy the cases getting the baffles out?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

Originally Posted by takeiteasy
It looks like you got the baffles out were you able to clean up the pipes and get the new baffles in, or did you destroy the cases getting the baffles out?
Bent the mount on one of the mufflers slightly but I can use it. When I was using the hydraulic press it was the only thing to press against. So both muffler cases are usable and not scratched up. I'm going to polish up the insides with a drill and emery paper, hopefully they go back in easy.

The left baffle is messed up pretty bad, pushed the welds back into the cone so I had to order a new one today.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
ajay450
Tourer

Originally Posted by oinker02
Yep, the factory packing eventually blows out. The pipes get louder, but more importantly, it changes your tune due to less back pressure. It's always the right side muff that looses it's packing first unless you are running true duals.

Jamie at fuel moto uses the absolute best German made performnce grade packing and it lasts much longer than stock Rush.

Sorry to hear about your muffs....But you really are better off buying Jamies tuned Jackpots to go with the PCIII. The PCIII will give a performance boost, but if you include the tuned Jackpots, she will really wake up.
Just talked to Rush and they said the packing just dampens the noise a little. Doesn't have any effect on backpressure. The design of the baffle is what controls backpressure. So says Rush. They did say they would send me packing for free if I wanted it.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 AM
AlphaBiker
Intermediate
Default How long does the packing last

I just installed a set of Rush 2.0s on my '09 SG yesterday. About how many miles can I expect to get before the paking needs to be replaced. Thanks.

eddie

Old 05-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my right baffle out so many times, there's no packing left on that side. I had the exact opposite problem as the original poster (my right baffle kept getting lose at the front bell and rattling like an old alarm clock). After the sixth time tearing it down, I dimpled the living **** out of the bell (about every 10 degrees) and hammered it back in with a 10lb wooden mallet. At the time, I wished I had some packing to put back around it (I've a feeling it won't ever be coming out again).

Old 05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mathews2
just took mine out, right side slid out with no problem and there is virtually no packing left. left side had a little more packing and took some persuasion, but I got it out with no damage. going to repack them with 1/2 inch stove rope wrapped loosely
lemme know how this works or worked .. i want to try it also

Old 05-28-2009, 01:20 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

Originally Posted by Thirdup
I've had my right baffle out so many times, there's no packing left on that side. I had the exact opposite problem as the original poster (my right baffle kept getting lose at the front bell and rattling like an old alarm clock). After the sixth time tearing it down, I dimpled the living **** out of the bell (about every 10 degrees) and hammered it back in with a 10lb wooden mallet. At the time, I wished I had some packing to put back around it (I've a feeling it won't ever be coming out again).
I had to replace one of the baffles that was damaged during removal. Rush has a new design now. I contacted them and was told that the new smaller diameter bell helps with the rattle. It also has a slot instead of a hole for the mount. They told me to place the baffle in the muffler and smack it with a mallet and a 2x4 to seat it before tightening the bolt that holds the baffle. That smaller end would sure make removal easy in the future also!

Quick Reply: Trashed my Rush mufflers