Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trashed my Rush mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:30 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,387 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBagger
I used a torch and a rosebud to get the pipe nice and hot and it still would not move without a 20T press. And I was driving it from the motor side.
Wow. Never had that problem with mine.
Baffles have just about fell out.
Did you get them out?
Moot point if you had to melt your muffs to get the baffles out.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Raventhik
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had rush and my baffels came out fairly easy.
put in the dyno-tuned from FM.
I like the tone much better.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 AM
ajay450
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it necessary to repack the baffles on the Rush slip ons? If you don't, do the pipes get louder over time?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ajay450
Is it necessary to repack the baffles on the Rush slip ons? If you don't, do the pipes get louder over time?
Yep, the factory packing eventually blows out. The pipes get louder, but more importantly, it changes your tune due to less back pressure. It's always the right side muff that looses it's packing first unless you are running true duals.

Jamie at fuel moto uses the absolute best German made performnce grade packing and it lasts much longer than stock Rush.

Sorry to hear about your muffs....But you really are better off buying Jamies tuned Jackpots to go with the PCIII. The PCIII will give a performance boost, but if you include the tuned Jackpots, she will really wake up.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just took mine out, right side slid out with no problem and there is virtually no packing left. left side had a little more packing and took some persuasion, but I got it out with no damage. going to repack them with 1/2 inch stove rope wrapped loosely

Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 AM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is a good place to get packing?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mathews2
just took mine out, right side slid out with no problem and there is virtually no packing left. left side had a little more packing and took some persuasion, but I got it out with no damage. going to repack them with 1/2 inch stove rope wrapped loosely
Glad you piped in Mathew. You saw first hand what I described above-the right side packing blew first, huh?

Now here is where you guys need to sit up and listen.....If you are running injected bikes without an auto tune like Tmax or PCV, then as the packing blows out, it changes your tune and performance will suffer-even ridability will suffer.

Exhaust packing muffles the sound, but more importantly, it offers lots of backpressure. Once the packing blows, there is less backpressure and your tune goes out the window.

The only way to retain your performance tune longer without auto tune is to use longer lasting performance packing.

Wrapping stove rope around a baffle simply ain't a proper fix to an injected bike that has been modded with an aftermarket fuel control running in open loop.

Mathew, I ain't sayin you got a PCIII in open loop and you are stupid. For all I know you have a carbed bike and simply want to restore sound dampening. If that is the case, then you got the right fix and got away with it cheap....But for those guys running open loop fuelers like the PCIII, they need to take care when they fiddle with any exhaust changes.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well mine is EFI and I have a sert. map provided by latus. runs good, but I want get it back to like it was. getting louder and it feels as though it has lost a little of the tq. Which as it looses the back pressure the tq will suffer. but the stove rope option isn't a economical idea. it will cost about 40 bucks to repack with stove rope.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 PM
shootdr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rjmac53
didnt realize the rush baffles were that difficult to remove...
I 2nd that, just removed one of mine had no problem at all. No rust in my pipes. However these mufflers only have 7000 miles on them.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
bobbydeuce
Cruiser

When I first installed my Rush 2.0 slip-ons I could smell the new batting/packing burning, I plan on checking my batting/packing every 2000-3000 miles. I know the local cycle shop sells the "silencer packing" I called Rush and asked if they would send me some.. and they indirectly said no. I'm hoping my local independent mechanic can remove the baffles without destroying them. see article below.

http://www.spotmotorcycle.com/harley...ermarket-part/

Quick Reply: Trashed my Rush mufflers