Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-dive technology and the dreaded low speed drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched the movie twice in the last 2 weeks, good stuff..

Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have replaced the stock front springs with springs from Progressive in two BMW airheads and two Kawasaki Concours as well as my EG, Along with knowing how to ride a cheap, quick, easy and pretty effective way to minimise the "pogo" effect

Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM
CW4_131A
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concur, technology can seldom cure what good training can teach.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley had used a primitive anti-dive set up in the early 90's. I had it on my 91 FXR-Conv. It was an air reservoir in the handlebars that fed into the front forks. It had a solenoid that closed off when you hit the brakes to keep the forks stiff. I guess it worked as intended, but as they said above, keep off that front brake in the parking lots.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
I have always wondered why Harley-Davidson did not incorporate anti-dive technology in its front forks to help alleviate the propensity for us to drop our bikes when using the brakes during low speed turns. It is the weight transfer or "dip" in the front end that causes us to drop our scoots and wondered that the use of Anti-dive forks would stop or help cut down on this happening. Just a thought!
Nah; the drop is caused by having the bike leaned over not a "dive." MSF courses teach straightening the handlebars (no lean) when coming to a quick stop in a turn.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
I personally don't think anti-dive tech is all that important. I've been riding dirtbikes with 12" of cushy suspension all my life (talk about dive), and as with anything else, as long as your going in a relatively straight line front braking is no problem. Also had a Ninja with anti-dive and didn't like it, it's not a natural feeling.
My Ultra dives to a degree but is still dead stable for what it is.
One inexpensive trick to help overcome some dive, is to replace your fork oil with a heavier weight oil. Did that to mine when I switched out to chrome front end, can't complain one bit about the front suspension now!
+1 on changing the stock oil to SE Heavy....Eliminates the nose diving while breaking. Yes, it's a firmer ride but more controlled....