Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whine from back wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 PM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whine from back wheel

I have a 08 street glide and im getting a whine noise coming from the back wheel when i ride about 5 miles. It done this once before when i had around 400 miles on the bike.You could feel it in the handlebars and floorboards. Took it to have it looked at the dealer they said the belt was to tight needed adjusted. Now i have 4000 miles on the bike and it has started agian should the belt be getting tighter like this or is their a problem. Im going to call the dealer this weekend and see what they say. Hopefully if something is wrong i can get it took care of with warranty still have another year left.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 PM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser

Thought i would see if you all could help didnt have any replies on the tech forum

Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the castle nuts tight and locked in place? Just wonder if the rear axle is being allowed to slip to the rear, making the belt tighter. Otherwise, seems the belt would be stretching over time.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default whine

check the alignment marks, Mine was off a little and caused the belt to be a little crooked, which produced a "whine", if you will. The belt would have a hard time, tightening itself up. It's going to get looser as it ages.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Spray some Pigspit on your belt and ride. If the whine leaves, you know where your problem is.

You should be able to get Pigspit at your local Stealership.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 PM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser

Well i call it a whine noise its probaly more of a rubbing noise. Mostly just makes the noise when slowing down and its a pulseating<spelling? noise. But i was thinking same as you all belt should be stretching instead of getting tighter. Thanks for the replies

Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought, but better safe than sorry. Go over your frame and make sure you don't have any cracked welds. I'd hate to think the frame was wanting to spread out front to rear and the belt was the "glue" keeping things together. Highly unlikely, but like has been said, belt should not be getting tighter with more miles.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 PM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser

Dang i would hope not now that would be scary might need to check that to be on the safe side

Old 05-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont know about the belt tightening but you might also want to check your rear wheel bearings as far as the noise goes. My oem rear bearing was so bad when I had the dealer replace my rear tire the bearings guts actually fell out when they pulled the axle.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 AM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser

would the bearings do this when they are cold and warmed up it just makes thhe niose when i get about 5 miles down the road

Quick Reply: whine from back wheel