Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering kits for streetglides

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:24 PM
renegade600
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering kits for streetglides

Have an 09 street glide, looking to lower the rear, has anyone done this? and how? the 09 shocks are already shorter than the 08's
Have seen kits on ebay for like $40 to $50 are they any good? looks like relocating shocks? different angle??

Just looking for some info....

thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Povertynob
Intermediate

Never used the lowering kits you see all over, but if you want to keep the same shock travel there is a guy in Arizona that will cut your shocks down 1, 2 or even 3 inches and the ride stays pretty much the same. I had a set done a couple of years ago and they do everything he claims. Wasn't as cheap as a kit by anymeans tho. If you need the guys info PM me and I'll see if I can dig it up.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:03 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The company that will cut down your shocks is called "bitchin baggers" I recently had my stock shocks cut down 1.5 inches, which is 3/4" shorer then your stock shocks. I'm still playing with the air in the shocks, but they are nice. Just google "Bitchin Baggers"

Old 05-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

don't use the chocks to lower it; the shocks will not dampen properly...

Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM
missile
Tourer

I have been running the kit for about 1000 miles so for on my 09 with no problems. I only went 1" down as the manufacture stated that is all he would suggest if I was riding 2 up. Yes the mount kicks the shock back a little in order to lower it.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:28 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default don't do it

I put 11-1/2" Progressive 430 shocks on mine and lowered the front 1-1/2" with a race-tech gold valve kit. I hated every minute of it. The forks are terrible stock and not much better with the race-tech kit installed, but the shocks were a big improvement from the stock air shocks. I just bought a set of 12" Ohlins to get it back up, Dragging my floorboards every other turn, was starting to scare my lady. Now to fix/raise the forks... It sure looks cool all LOW, but it doesn't ride for $hit. The lower you go, the quicker it will bottom out, when riding two up. My tire was hitting my fender and it was like locking up the brakes. JMO

Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Have done 4K miles or so since I installed lowering kit. Have had no problem but keep the shocks between 20-23lbs. With a passenger occasionally and then go to 45-50.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:49 PM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser

Originally Posted by langhammx
I put 11-1/2" Progressive 430 shocks on mine and lowered the front 1-1/2" with a race-tech gold valve kit. I hated every minute of it. The forks are terrible stock and not much better with the race-tech kit installed, but the shocks were a big improvement from the stock air shocks. I just bought a set of 12" Ohlins to get it back up, Dragging my floorboards every other turn, was starting to scare my lady. Now to fix/raise the forks... It sure looks cool all LOW, but it doesn't ride for $hit. The lower you go, the quicker it will bottom out, when riding two up. My tire was hitting my fender and it was like locking up the brakes. JMO
So the 12" Ohlins are still half an inch shorter than the stock SG shocks right? I was thinking of going with them also. Please let me know how you like them. I was also thinking of doing the Race-Tech gold valves for the front and going down an inch at the same time, but now maybe not.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Dbstglide
Advanced

I've got the three hole bracket style that kicks the shock back. I ran it in the second notch with 20lbs in the shocks. I' 220 lbs and the tire slapped the fender a little, when i rode two up it was so bad that i turned around, went home and moved it up. If i were to do it again I would'nt do this style again I would do shocks. My bud had another style on his 06 and it rubbed so bad that it shorted out the wiring harness that goes inside the fender, Do the shocks!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Dbstglide
Advanced

P.S The ride quality and handling goes away bad on the second notch also, Its ok in the first notch.

Quick Reply: Lowering kits for streetglides