Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering kits for streetglides

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 648 Likes on 516 Posts

the lower u go the stiffer it needs to be so u dont bottom out got to low and the ride gets harsh and u dragg floorboards.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 AM
langhammx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12" Ohlins

Originally Posted by ShooterSteve1953
So the 12" Ohlins are still half an inch shorter than the stock SG shocks right? I was thinking of going with them also. Please let me know how you like them. I was also thinking of doing the Race-Tech gold valves for the front and going down an inch at the same time, but now maybe not.

Thanks for any feedback.
The 12" Ohlins are an awesome shock. 12" is stock for '08 FLHX. NOT impressed with the race tech kit, but I'm a little picky. I went with a heavier oil too, to keep the front end from diving. It handles good in the twisties, but is a rough ride otherwise. I haven't been on a long ride yet, with the Ohlins. I was refering to the "rough ride" with my Progressives and the race-tech kit. The shocks feel great so far, going on a good/long ride in the morning.

Lowering my bike was the only thing that I have done, that I regret. My floorboards are ground flat and was starting to tear up the brackets too. I'm looking forward to NOT scraping in every other corner, going through the canyons.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 AM
langhammx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
the lower u go the stiffer it needs to be so u dont bottom out got to low and the ride gets harsh and u dragg floorboards.
+1 on that........

Old 05-03-2009, 08:47 AM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser

Originally Posted by langhammx
The 12" Ohlins are an awesome shock. 12" is stock for '08 FLHX. NOT impressed with the race tech kit, but I'm a little picky. I went with a heavier oil too, to keep the front end from diving. It handles good in the twisties, but is a rough ride otherwise. I haven't been on a long ride yet, with the Ohlins. I was refering to the "rough ride" with my Progressives and the race-tech kit. The shocks feel great so far, going on a good/long ride in the morning.

Lowering my bike was the only thing that I have done, that I regret. My floorboards are ground flat and was starting to tear up the brackets too. I'm looking forward to NOT scraping in every other corner, going through the canyons.
I'm thinking of trying the cartridge replacement from MM for the fork along with the Ohlins. But I also want to get a bit lower too. I am a small guy and am spoiled by all my previous bikes that were much lighter and lower.

Can't the floorboards be raised up and inch to avoid grinding?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 AM
wkenddad
Tourer

Talked to several suspension dealers while at Laughlin.
They do have shorter shocks, but said if you go that way the ride will suffer.
They suggested possibly installing an air system with compressor that you could lower while at a stop or parking and reinflate while riding.
If your problem is leg length and feet on the street issues one guy suggested shaving the sides of the seat. The stock seat is very wide at the front and spreads your legs apart reducing your ability to touch ground. He said he has shaved several seat and just restapled the factory cover back and worked great.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

A HD tech whispered into my ear that the cost:benefit ratio was way out of whack when it comes to lowering. Thought he's done lots of installs, he reports seeing alot of riders getting rid of their lowering kits. Something I'd like to do, but not sure that if it isn't money spent to improve it, that tweaking the suspension in the other direction is probably not worth it.

They do look cool, though.