Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger Brace - Tales from the Sausage Fingers files

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bagger Brace - Tales from the Sausage Fingers files

Got my Bagger Brace in the mail yesterday. I ended up going with the aluminum one so I could see it on there. Nice construction, clean machining, concise instructions.

Install impressions: Not too bad, especially for someone with big fat hands like myself. Getting the oil pan bolts off wasn't too difficult. On the air cleaner side it was relly easy, since the bike's higher. The last bolt closest to the front of the bike requires the allen-head wrench going up through the hole in the cross-member. I had a difficult time since my t-handles were only short enough to do two of the bolts. Had to use a long allen-head wrench to get the bolts out. Of course, they are tight, so I had to wrap the closed end of one of my wrenches around the botton of the allen-head wrench to provide torque.

The kickstand side of the bike was a bit harder, but with a flashlight/trouble light under there, it goes pretty easy. It helped that I was lying on a carpeted garage floor, because you're going to spend a lot of time down there.

My cross-member was indeed slightly bent. I managed to straighten it out to about 95%, and the brace unit itself slipped right in. There's only one way it can go, so you can't make a mistake - engraved logo facing the rear! Mine fit almost all the way, and seated itself once I tightened down all the bolts completely. You have to make sure you have tightened all 6 bolts down to their final tightness, because once the new cross-piece goes in, you won't be able to access two of them any more.

The pieces associated with the cross-member go in and fit perfectly; I didn't need any of the filing-down that Phoenix indicates may be required. As I said before, my cross member was not completely straight, and here's where it may take a bit of patience. The centre bolt provided with the kit, as a result of my slightly bent cross-member, is not long enough. So, I temporarily used a longer bolt to make sure all the parts fit.

Once you start tightening down the 11 bolts in sequence, if your frame's cross-member is slightly bent, it will straighten itself out as you tie things together. Take your time, and slightly tighten each bolt in sequence. It took me quite a while, since I had to use an allen-head wrench, and as things tighten up, other bolts may loosen. Eventually, once everything is straight, all the bolts will seat perfectly, and will remain tight. I'd add maybe 20 minutes to the allotted time.

I checked with my flashlight to make sure everything is flat, level and tight where it's supposed to be, and it's all good.

All I have left to do is finish hooking up the linkage, and I'll be good to go and take it for a test ride. I just ran out of time before I had to go to work. I'll post final results once everything is complete.

Cannon

Old 05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I have the brace on my '06 Road King. It's excellent. Feels like a new bike.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a tip for those who don't have a lift, or are doing something where the lift would be in the way. You can lean a bagger nicely over on the right side by setting the rear passenger footboard on a plastic milk crate. I realize it is too late for Jonny, but maybe someone else might benefit from this tidbit.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior

Hey no worries - that was the whole point of my thread - adding bits of info to make the install that much easier for someone else.

Cannon

Old 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am going to put mine on this weekend. (hopefully) Did you put lcoktite on the bolts?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior

Yep. Loctite blue on everything. The instructions also tell you to do so.

Cannon

Old 05-01-2009, 04:26 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The folks are Harley must know about us backyard mechanics and our sausage fingers. I picked up a set of the passenger hand rail covers after the "passenger" complained about the narrow grip of the rails. Of course it doesn't take a rocket scientist to attach them but you can't trust us sausage-fingered backyard mechanics. They each use six of these tiny little allen-head screws to mount them, and HD provides a little allen wrench to tighten them down. More important is that they also include two extra screws, so they must know we'll drop one of the damn things and how effective they are at hiding. I've still got one spare, for whatever I'll use it for, but the one that got away is still hidding.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior

I love it. Now, when you buy Kuryakyn's chrome clutch adjuster cover, it comes with three snap rings, and only two are required. It says right in the instructions "Extra one included in case one gets away from you" or something like that.

Cannon

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

luv mine...check bolts after first ride even though you use loctite...

Old 05-01-2009, 07:31 PM
TexasVet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I could install one, I have a Wheeldock center stand & won't work with BB.

Quick Reply: Bagger Brace - Tales from the Sausage Fingers files