Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Pipe, Air Intake, EFI Mod for 2008-2009 Baggers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 AM
ALL-IN CYCLES
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Pipe, Air Intake, EFI Mod for 2008-2009 Baggers?

I have a 2009 FLHX (Street Glide). I have many upgrades and modifications in mind but right now I'm looking for the best combo for exhaust, air intake & EFI (either add on or replacement module) to make the most HP & Torque. I do have access to a Dyno, but simple tuning or a trip to my local Harley dealer for an upload is preferred.
I was looking at BUB 7 True Duals($900), SE (Screamin' Eagle) Heavy Breather kit($300) & Zipper's Thunder-max with Auto Tune (replacement ECM)($900) but as of now Thunder-Max will not fit 2008-2009 TBW (Throttle by wire) Bikes, it is still in development. Since I'll be spending $2000 on this upgrade I would appreciate any input you might have.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by ALL-IN CYCLES; 05-01-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My vote would be for the FuelMoto Power package consisiting of Jackpot slipons (or the mufflers of your choice) SE AC and PC-V. I have that plus I added the autotune modules. FuelMoto is a sponsor here. Do a search and check them out.

I am sure Jamie at FuelMoto can set you up with a PCV, custom map and AT module if you want to go with the SE Heavy Breather and BUB true duals.

Last edited by JustDennis; 05-01-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:59 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Has V&H True Duals with Python Slips for now with plans to go to V&H Monster Ovals in the near future.. Running a Ness Big Sucker for AC with a PCIII that keeps it running strong and well...On my 2008 FLHT

Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Rinehart True Duals, SE/AC and a SERT. This upgrade has made a HUGE change not only in power but sound and most important...HEAT REDUCTION!
The pipes look great too!
I will post some pictures. Doing a poker run this weekend and riding up to the Fernandina Beach Shrimp Festival in North Fla.
Ride safe

Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 AM
REVDOGGY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ALL-IN CYCLES
I have a 2009 FLHX (Street Glide). I have many upgrades and modifications in mind but right now I'm looking for the best combo for exhaust, air intake & EFI (either add on or replacement module) to make the most HP & Torque. I do have access to a Dyno, but simple tuning or a trip to my local Harley dealer for an upload is preferred.
I was looking at BUB 7 True Duals, SE (Screamin' Eagle) Heavy Breather kit & Zipper's Thunder-max with Auto Tune (replacement ECM) but as of now Thunder-Max will not fit 2008-2009 TBW (Throttle by wire) Bikes. Since I'll be spending $2000 - $3000 on this upgrade I would appreciate any input you might have.

Thanks,
Dave
That price seems high so make sure you check around you may have some extra cash there for some chrome. I paid a $1000 for Rinehart slip ons, SE Heavy Breather and a power comander all put on my bike. Maybe I got lucky not sure I hate to see you waste money.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

for me, it's a no brainer, i went with the pc-v through fuelmoto, already mapped, and get this, you can also run two maps, via a switch. one map for rompin on it, and one for touring-fuel mileage etc. and there is also an auto tune upgrade that can be done later, and they have it for the models, retrofitting all the way back to 02 FI harleys. rinehart slip ons are hard to beat, and i understand there is a considerable loss of low end power with true duals. anyway, with the se ac, rineharts, and power commander 5, what i got really satisfies my needs in a big way. hope this helps. and the pc-v makes it run so much cooler too. i was expecting a drastic loss in fuel mileage, but went from 42 average to 40 when i installed the pcv. most likely cause i was rompin on it cause it's a blast to ride now.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

I went with the bassani slip-ons, PC-V, and the ness big sucker. All depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

You want good low end torque and power, then buy a 2-1 pipe. D&D, Thunderheader, bassani, V&H.....

Slipons - $399
PC-V - $312
Ness big sucker - $109

So for under a grand you could do all of the mods yourself. Save your $$$ and do it yourself.

Last edited by fripple; 05-01-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

good point revdoggy, i think we are all able to pick each others brains, to find out what works, what people like on their bikes, and what's the best bang for the buck. heck, i know i can't afford to experiment. before forums existed, we had little choice other than to try to figure out what "might" work out to improve our power and torque output, sure am glad to have stumbled into the forum, lots of great advice in here. cool thing about the advice also, is that it's not etched in fiberglass, so we can choose which advice to use, and which advice we don't want, this forum has helped me to spend my money in a more organized way to achieve the end results that i wanted.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
BigD64
Tourer

V&H slipons, Fuelmoto Air and PC-V less than $900 bucks. If you go with Fuelmoto package about $775 but I like the V&H pipes better than the Jackpots.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Different Beasts!

One important thing to remember is that the 08 and 09 are completely different from each other. Someone's 08 configuration that is working fabulous for them, may not work for you at all. The 09s have a LOT of differences, headers pipes, modified Heat Mgmt with the existing ECM/EFI that is surely different from 08s etc.

If you're going to do some research and look for other people's experiences I'd stick with asking for 09 information.

Having said that, I will tell you I went with a FuelMoto package and I am in Hawg Heaven on my 07 EGC!

Quick Reply: Best Pipe, Air Intake, EFI Mod for 2008-2009 Baggers?