Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Line Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:37 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Red Line Oil

OK, so here is the story. When I bought the bike I was introduced to the service department and sold on the prepaid service contract. No big deal I am not mechanically inclined so I do not mind the service department working on my bike. One of the selling points was being able to have Red Line Oil put in my bike at no extra charge. So when I took the bike in for its first service I told the service tech that I wanted red line. He said that they didn’t have it but could get it from the store in Fort Myers (same owners). He then said that if I used red line it would void my warranty (supposedly the word from Harley). Not wanting to void my warranty, I went with Syn 3. I then called my salesman and told him what the service department said. He told me they can’t do that and they are wrong. If Harley is going to demand you use a certain oil they have to supply the oil for free. Come to find out he was wrong and the Harley store in Fort myers actually encourages the use of red line. Anyways, after talking to several people I was ok with Syn 3. After getting the bike it just didn’t seem right, nothing bad, just not right. Then one day while riding with a buddy, who uses red line, we were in stop and go traffic during spring break. My bike really got hot and was getting to the point of over heating, it never shut down, but definitely did not like the heat. My buddies bike with red line ran fine.
So now I am going to take it in for service again, I am going to ask for red line and will wait for them to get it from Fort Myers. My question is this, How do I know they have used red line through out? Thanks for the help.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:53 AM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Red Line Oil

You don't know. You have to take their word for it.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
TKanaley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably wait till I had 2000 mi on it before I ran synthetic. Run dino oil, use proper break in procedure and change out the oil every 500 or so, till you switch over to synthetic.

And change the oil yourself! It's not that hard and that way you'll know what you got.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:43 PM
jtouchette
Advanced

Lawdawg; I sure hope you have better luck with these dealers in SWFLA than I have. FMHD and NHD don't talk with each other unless they are forced to do it.
Regarding the REDLINE, I use it in my '01 RK, crankcase, tranny,etc and have found it is better than anything else I've tried in my HDs in years past. In fact, I order it from a dealer friend of mine in OH and do it myself because neither HDFM nor NHD keep it on the shelf.
But for sure, wait a couple of thousand miles before going synthetic, let the rings seat or you'll have bigger problems.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Big Red
Cruiser

No mistaking redline in the transmission, it looks like pepto bismal and stinks like crude oil

Old 05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

I'm up to 2600 miles now. Since gas has gone up I have been riding it to work more than the Hemi. Sure does make the ride to work more enjoyable. Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:30 AM
trning
Advanced

I just had the 10,000 mile service. My dealer recomended Redline oil, especially in the trans. The eng runs coolerand the trans shifts alot better. I couldn't be happier.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:15 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Lawdawg

So now I am going to take it in for service again, I am going to ask for red line and will wait for them to get it from Fort Myers. My question is this, How do I know they have used red line through out? Thanks for the help.
You would have to find a vantage point where you could watch them when they service the bike. From the sounds of it, the folks you are dealing with deserve this scrutiny. I've done this at my dealer and they have no problem with me watching as long as I don't stroll around the shop.

And Red Line will not void the warranty.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Was looking at the red line website. They have a 20w-50 but say its not for contineous street use. Whitch redline oil are you guys running?

Doug

Old 05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

I lived in your home town and rode with S Young , he bought my old house.. Change your oil your self ,those goofballs havn't change much I see . Run the heavy shock in the tranny, mlt in the primmary and 20w-50 in the motor all redline or amsoil and have a better product, just keep your paper work in a fill.. I have never had job done right in a H-D shop, I just don't go there...

Quick Reply: Red Line Oil