Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide in Back of F-250?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so what are people using to put an 800 pound Harley in the back of a truck with?? Links would be really helpful here if you have bought something that works safely to get the bike in and out of the truck.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 11:09 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like somebody said earler just put a 2X6 or 2X12 under it to help spread the weight and you will be good....

And guy with a chip you can break the tires loose on a dually from a dead stop....now ask me how i know that.....

Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Simply go the K.I.S.S. way by purchasing this lift. Here's the link.

http://www.rampagelift.com/

Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Simply go the K.I.S.S. way by purchasing this lift. Here's the link.

http://www.rampagelift.com/
DANG !!!!!!! That thing cost $2600.00 plus shipping!!!! I could buy a smaller trailer for that !!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs down

Not even worth a comment!!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

You better have something between your front tire and the end of the bed. Don't just put the tire up against the end of the gate and strap it down. A good hard bump and your front end will compress, and you risk jamming the front fender into the end of the bed. UGLY... A couple of 2X6's on edge between the tire and the bed will alleviate the problem. Good Luck

Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I use. I got the nine foot model and love it. It breaks down into three seperate sections so that you can load a riding lawn tractor and stuff like that. The nine footer is long enough so that you don't bottom out at all. And by the way I own that same truck, an '08 Dodge Ram short-bed, and I'm able to load my SG in there no problem. I leave the tailgate down, and the rear tire rests on the seam between the truck bed and tailgate. There isn't much weight on the tailgate at all. So, you can do it with no problems at all.http://www.motorcycleramps.com/black_widow.htm.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
This is what I use. I got the nine foot model and love it. It breaks down into three seperate sections so that you can load a riding lawn tractor and stuff like that. The nine footer is long enough so that you don't bottom out at all. And by the way I own that same truck, an '08 Dodge Ram short-bed, and I'm able to load my SG in there no problem. I leave the tailgate down, and the rear tire rests on the seam between the truck bed and tailgate. There isn't much weight on the tailgate at all. So, you can do it with no problems at all.http://www.motorcycleramps.com/black_widow.htm.
Ok, how did you know I have an 08 Dodge Ram??

I have looked at that ramp before. What do you do with the ramp to store when you take the bike somewhere??

Before more Ride it statements come out. I would like this option to take my Harley to Florida. 1100+ mile trip for me, and time off is limited. I have a 14 enclosed Haulmark, but figured I could get better gas mileage with it in the back of the truck.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've put 10" long choppers in short bed trucks to take them to shows...it will fit. You may wanna put a plank through the bed to the tail gate to handle the weight on the gate if the bike makes it to the tail gate...I do however agree with the folks that say, ride the dam thing...

Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Renegade
Ok, how did you know I have an 08 Dodge Ram??

I have looked at that ramp before. What do you do with the ramp to store when you take the bike somewhere??

Before more Ride it statements come out. I would like this option to take my Harley to Florida. 1100+ mile trip for me, and time off is limited. I have a 14 enclosed Haulmark, but figured I could get better gas mileage with it in the back of the truck.
I do what they DON'T reccomend. I never bolt all three sections together. I simply zip-tie them together, and once the bike's loaded I cut the zip-ties off, and fold all three sections in half and throw them next to the bike, or fold the rear seats down and put them there. They say that if you're loading more than 750 lbs you have to bolt all three together, but I think that's just for liability reasons, because the middle section alone (which is where all the weight is) is rated to carry 1500 lbs alone, and each side ramp is rated for 600 lbs. (The weight rating on the web-site is wrong, theirs says 1500 lb total for max weight. The total capacity is really 2700 lbs.)

Quick Reply: Street Glide in Back of F-250?