Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive buffeting with stock FLHRC windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:16 PM
bobernet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Massive buffeting with stock FLHRC windshield

Since the day I bought my '09 RKC, the windshield has never been on the bike. I've been riding back and forth to work every day and short (< 75mi) rides nearby.

The other day I decided to see how things were with the windshield, as we'll want it for longer trips. BIG mistake.

I hopped on the freeway, and couldn't see a thing. There was so much wind buffeting (seemed to be coming up under my helmet) shaking my helmet and glasses around, that I was lucky to even see the lines on the road.

I'm 6'0 with a 31" inseam. I wear a modular HJC Symax-II helmet, and usually wear prescription glasses or sunglasses under my face shield.

Help?

Taller windshield, shorter, tough luck live without a windshield?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 PM
TheBagger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem and after adding a baffle between the forks and wind deflectors on the outside of the forks I can ride with my windshield on. You might try a smaller helmet also. Here is a thread on the subject.
Buffeting thread

Last edited by TheBagger; 04-30-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Monochrome
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I read the recommended height for a windscreen is so the tip of your nose is level with the top of the screen. On RKs I know people sometimes have the screens cut down to make this match. My dealer has a guy who does it on a regular basis so it is not an unusual issue, hope you sort it soon, screens are so good for distance riding.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
bobernet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBagger
I have the same problem and after adding a baffle between the forks and wind deflectors on the outside of the forks I can ride with my windshield on. You might try a smaller helmet also. Here is a thread on the subject.
Buffeting thread
Thanks for the link, Bagger. I guess I might try those fork deflectors. But, man, they are ugly!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

All I know on my pre '09 I have almost no buffeting. Standard windshield. I'm 6'0" tall.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobernet
Since the day I bought my '09 RKC, the windshield has never been on the bike. I've been riding back and forth to work every day and short (< 75mi) rides nearby.

The other day I decided to see how things were with the windshield, as we'll want it for longer trips. BIG mistake.

I hopped on the freeway, and couldn't see a thing. There was so much wind buffeting (seemed to be coming up under my helmet) shaking my helmet and glasses around, that I was lucky to even see the lines on the road.

I'm 6'0 with a 31" inseam. I wear a modular HJC Symax-II helmet, and usually wear prescription glasses or sunglasses under my face shield.

Help?

Taller windshield, shorter, tough luck live without a windshield?

Thanks,
Bob
Lose that style of helmet. The buffeting is because of it. My fullface Arai is unwearable on my RK.

CN

Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bobernet
Thanks for the link, Bagger. I guess I might try those fork deflectors. But, man, they are ugly!

Get the baffle as noted on the other thread. I wouldn't bother with the deflectors that mount on the forks.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting thread. I've had no problems with buffeting on my bike. I"m 5'11 and have the windshield on all the time in colder months. I ride 135 miles every day and we frequently have some significant winds in the mountains where I live. Not sure why some people would find it so bad and others not have any at all. My bike is stock so no alterations. The helmet is the only factor that varies usually.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Pumba11;4935392]All I know on my pre '09 I have almost no buffeting. Standard windshield. I'm 6'0" tall.[/QUOTE
same here I'm 6'2 and never had no buffetting on my rk, just a lil wind, I'm a believer real men don't get no buffetting

Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6"1" none here as well on my 08 rkc.Probably is the helmet.try a different one and compare.

Quick Reply: Massive buffeting with stock FLHRC windshield