Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Badlander seat on 09 RK

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009 | 09:53 AM
rcoleg
|
Novice
Red face Badlander seat on 09 RK

I put the badlander seat on my 09 roadking. The guys at the dealership told me to ride it and check it out to see if I like it and if not bring it back and try another one. Well I took it home slapped it on and went for a ride. My wife hated the small seat on the back and said she would not be riding on that, so I was just going to trade it in for the brawler solo. I took the seat off and there was a scratch on the rear fender. I got to looking at the seat and there are 2 bolts that hold the tab on where you connect to the fender. The bolts scraped the paint off the fender. I called Harley and they said to bring it in and they will fix it...We will see just checking to see if anyone else has had any problems with the badlander.

Old 05-03-2009 | 05:41 PM
rcoleg
|
Novice

Well I went to the dealership (central Texas harley davidson) and showed them the seat. They were not aware of this problem. All of the parts guys, including the parts manager were amazed at the poor design of the seat. After making some phone calls for about an hour they gave me the phone number to harley davidson customer service. I called and wow what a nightmare. They say it is a sub-surface area since the bike was sold with a 2 up seat and this would not be covered under warranty. I told them that I wanted to put a brawler seat on it and the scratch was no longer going to be sub-surface. They did not seam to care. I ended up having to get extreamly agravated and cussing mad on the phone before she started to understand my point. I still do not have any straight answers as to the steps they are going to take to fix the problem, but I will post as soon as I hear something.

Old 05-03-2009 | 06:37 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default scratches

I had the Badlander on my '08 FLHX and the bolts never hit my fender. I have a buddy the has a '08 Road King and switches out for a brawler all the time. No scratches on his either. Did the little rubber o-ring come off with the stock seat ? Mine was kinda smashed, when I changed it out for the new Danny Gray seat. I put 12.000 miles on it w/ no problems.

Get the SEAT that YOU like and get the wife one of these-

She'll love you for it..........

Last edited by langhammx; 05-03-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2009 | 09:20 PM
rcoleg
|
Novice

Yeah the 08 seat has the tab that holds the seat to the fender recessed into the plastic pan and is held down by rivits. In 09 they made several changes to the roadking including a 180 rear tire so the fender changed. They had to redesign the seat. The new design does not recess the tab and the tab is attached to the pan with large bolts. The dealership had the same seat on a bike on the showroom floor and even that bike (never ridden just sit on) was scratched. The dealership is no longer selling the seat untill the problem is addressed. Harley is going to replace the rear fender on the bike. The dealership is going to refund the cost of the badlander seat and give me free of charge a brawler seat. I have been very pleased with Frank and the parts guys at Central Texas Harley Davidson. They have really gone out of their way to make me happy so far.

Old 05-06-2009 | 10:39 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

The stock seat can mark the gaurd too - I noticed this early and now I always put a peice of felt under the 2 up seat when I put it on (which isnt often). You need to do the same with the badlander. None of the 2 up seats protect the gaurd well.