Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop 407 and 408's???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:30 PM
dmp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just called my dealer says they've heard nothing about this...? (the replacement of the 407s for cupping) They know about the cupping issue.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM
rwlakin
Stage II
Default D408 tire

I just purchased a d408 front 4 my road king. 11k miles on tire. Terrible
cupping. The bike sounded like a lumber wagon going down the road. I had to were ear plugs. I did'n know if it was tire, transmission or front
bearing. It turned out to be the tire. Also a terrible price for the tire ($225). Rear tire still OK.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:02 PM
RoadTramp113
Advanced
Default Dunlops

The MoCo has a deal with Dunlop but are changing some bikes to Michelins...try the Commander II for touring bikes...yeah, they're more expensive but they get close to twice the mileage!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:23 PM
djhrln
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

More expensive? I know they're cheaper elsewhere, but when I order tires from motorcycle superstore, I get them next day, free shipping.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...04.11_Michelin

Old 02-26-2012, 04:30 PM
rwlakin
Stage II
Default D408

I normally buy from superstore also but at that time they didn't have them. And I wasn't sure where the noise was coming from.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM
powertools55
Novice
Default Dunlop d407f

Originally Posted by bksmoky
FYI--I wrote Dunlop in regards to discussion on another threads about the 407 and 408's.

It was just a standard request through Dunlops website. The first part is my questions and the second is a response by a Dunlop rep.

To Dunlop:

Comments :
I have a 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with Dunlop 407's.
I heard recent information that you are taking the exact same tire and
reversing the direction for cupping issues?
1) Does this affect water displacement for hydroplaning?
2) If cupping occurs this early and you have changed model numbers mid
model year. Will this be a warranty issue?
3) At some point will the Elite 3's be available for the 09 touring line?

Reponse from Dunlop:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop motorcycle
tire questions. The Dunlop D408 offers exceptional wet and dry performance
and grip characteristics. Dunlop Motorcycle Tires has not changed tire
model numbers mid-model year. This tire model change, D407 to D408, wasinitiated by Harley-Davidson. In fact, we simply manufacture the origina equipment tires to meet H-D specification for use on their vehicles. Also,there is no known "cupping" issue with the Dunlop D407 and there is no warranty issue with this tire model. Finally, there are no plans at this time to expand the Dunlop Elite 3 model line.

This reponse was received this morning. Time will tell if MoCo will put out more info???
I have a 2009 Night Train with 4k miles on it.The Dunlop D407f tires started cupping at 2,500 miles. I road the bike knowing of the bad tire wear and last year I had to make a panic stop.Due to the cupping.I had poor tracking and could not stop the bike in about 25 feet at 30mph.So I crashed.Dunlop still denies any issues with the D407f. Also,by reversing the tread pattern with not direct water from the center to the outside of the tread pattern.This tire needs to be recalled and Dunlop needs to be sued.I wish more Harley riders would come forward and speak up if they feel that this defective tire caused there accident.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
powertools55
Novice

Originally Posted by dmp
Just called my dealer says they've heard nothing about this...? (the replacement of the 407s for cupping) They know about the cupping issue.
Dunlop and Harley are trying to sweep this Dunlop D407f defective tire under the rug so called.Its an unsafe tire and reversing the tread and calling the same tire a D408f is not solving the problem.Beside,reversing the tread pattern will not direct the water from the center to the outside of the tire.This greaters the chance of a hydroplane.If you know anyone that has crashed there bikes due to this D407f tire,get them to post here.Dunlop needs to take responsibility and recall this unsafe tire before anymore bikers crash.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There are a lot of threads on rear cupping of this tire. I for one wrote both HD and Dunlop after going through 3 rears on my then 09....They took care of the front by changing direction of the tire but they still have the rear issue....Changed one rear so far on my 2011 which had 15k on it. If it had no cupping issue, I would have gotten 20+ out of her.

I was a real PIA to them. They finally sent me a free set and I was to field test them but can't say much on this.

They just don't want to address the issue no matter how you present to them and I tried it all.......Boy! did this wind me up again.....

Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM
powertools55
Novice

Originally Posted by rwlakin
I just purchased a d408 front 4 my road king. 11k miles on tire. Terrible
cupping. The bike sounded like a lumber wagon going down the road. I had to were ear plugs. I did'n know if it was tire, transmission or front
bearing. It turned out to be the tire. Also a terrible price for the tire ($225). Rear tire still OK.
Dunlop and Harley are trying to sweep this Dunlop D407f defective tire under the rug so called.Its an unsafe tire and reversing the tread and calling the same tire a D408f is not solving the problem.Beside,reversing the tread pattern will not direct the water from the center to the outside of the tire.This greaters the chance of a hydroplane.If you know anyone that has crashed there bikes due to this D407f tire,get them to post here.Dunlop needs to take responsibility and recall this unsafe tire before anymore bikers crash.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 PM
powertools55
Novice

Originally Posted by ultrapacman
Many thanks for the update bksmoky. As I stated in another thread, my 09 Ultra (built mid January) came with 407's front and rear and I was concerned that Harley was dumping their left over tires on us just to get rid of them.

Quick Reply: Dunlop 407 and 408's???