Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM
harleyfltri
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp Gauge for Harley

As stated earlier the air temp guauge that comes with the bike is basically useless and always flucuates. My digital dipstick from HD died after about 2 years so I wasn't wasting my money on another one. When I saw that HD wanted $140.00 for their dash oil temp gauge I started looking around and found this one on eBay for $16.00 delivered. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Faze-...ht_4264wt_1165.

I installed it tonight on my 02 Road Glide and it works perfectly, however it is awfully bright. It comes with everything but the wires and I used regular spade clips to plug into the original plugs for power. The sensor goes in the same spot in the oil pan the HD sensor goes.

Now I'm trying to see how the oil bud actually works before I shell out the money. I've already tried the original HD oil cooler and the billet cool but the mods on my engine really cause it to get hot so I'm looking for something that does some serious cooling.

I saw where they shot the Oil Bud with a shotgun and barely made a dent and I know it is mounted in between the frame tubes but I want to know how it actually cools from someone who has used it in very hot weather.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying everything in this pic comes with the gauge for just $15?

Last edited by BoomerBob; 10-06-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

Can someone tell me,on my 08' RG,do the oil cooler hoses connect to those two allen head plugs just to the right of where the oil filter screws on? I saw those plugs when doing an oil change and I figured that is what they were for.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Jukebox
Road Master

Originally Posted by harleyfltri
As stated earlier the air temp guauge that comes with the bike is basically useless and always flucuates. My digital dipstick from HD died after about 2 years so I wasn't wasting my money on another one. When I saw that HD wanted $140.00 for their dash oil temp gauge I started looking around and found this one on eBay for $16.00 delivered. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Faze-...ht_4264wt_1165.

I installed it tonight on my 02 Road Glide and it works perfectly, however it is awfully bright. It comes with everything but the wires and I used regular spade clips to plug into the original plugs for power. The sensor goes in the same spot in the oil pan the HD sensor goes.

Now I'm trying to see how the oil bud actually works before I shell out the money. I've already tried the original HD oil cooler and the billet cool but the mods on my engine really cause it to get hot so I'm looking for something that does some serious cooling.

I saw where they shot the Oil Bud with a shotgun and barely made a dent and I know it is mounted in between the frame tubes but I want to know how it actually cools from someone who has used it in very hot weather.
Hell I can get one like that for about the same price at the auto part store,but it don't match the rest of the gages. Nice price but it looks kinda ghetto.JMHO

Old 10-07-2009, 02:33 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah I would like to hear some feed back on the OIL BUD coolers myself. I watched the videos on their web site. The thing looks like it is tuff enough. Wonder how well it really cools mounted down under the bike like that.

here is link to the videos.

http://www.budsbikerparts.net/

Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Went with the Jagg 10 Row Vertical Cooler .. Temps are at least 20 degree cooler perhaps a little more.. Well worth the Money to me.. Easy Install with the Filter Adapter Plate..

Old 10-07-2009, 05:14 AM
ranman469
Road Master

Originally Posted by mike5511
Yeah I would like to hear some feed back on the OIL BUD coolers myself. I watched the videos on their web site. The thing looks like it is tuff enough. Wonder how well it really cools mounted down under the bike like that.

here is link to the videos.

http://www.budsbikerparts.net/
a member did a review of it recently here, only showed a 10 deg reduction. do a search. i expected more out of it.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Stretglyd08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I purchased a 10 row JAGG and am waiting to install. I talked to Marvin on the phone for a while with question about a thermostat or manual cut off. He said that you really don't need a thermostat or manual shut off on the bikes. They offer them because the public thinks they need to cut the cooler off on cold weather. He assured me that you can install the cooler and ride and forget about it. He said that the time it takes the cooler to warm up the oil is minimal and will not do any harm to the engine in cooler weather.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Went with the Jagg 10 Row Vertical Cooler .. Temps are at least 20 degree cooler perhaps a little more.. Well worth the Money to me.. Easy Install with the Filter Adapter Plate..

Am I missing something? Shouldn't your cooler be mounted to get air flow through it instead of turned sideways?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:49 AM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Being in the flow of wind might help some, but "lift" will draw air through the cooler.

m.a.c.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler