Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:56 AM
blueride
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressurized heads

[QUOTE=BoomerBob;4926851]It's my understanding the newer engines are oil cooled as well as air cooled. A jet of oil is sprayed up under the pistons to help cool things down.

The new sportser has pressurized oil cooling in the heads, maybe the big twins will have these heads in the future, but for now the scavaged oil on the pistons is simply for lubrication, not pressurized for cooling. As I understand it.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:05 AM
ajay450
Tourer

Originally Posted by gbinman
The stupid dash gauge's sensor is inside your fairing right behind the headlight. You haven't noticed how inaccurate it is?

On my RG with two headlights its even more useless.
I thought the oil temp gauge had a wire connected to a sensor installed in the oil pan. I think they do make a gauge the attaches to the cylinder head down next to your right leg.

I live in northwestern Ohio and I have an oil cooler, the HD Premium. In cooler weather I can tell by feeling the hoses that the thermostate is working because they are cool to the touch. In warmer weather they get hot to the touch.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:13 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Have an oil cooler planned for the future ... Definitely going with the Jagg 10 Vertical mount...

Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tao3535
For those of you posting engine temps, how are you measuring this? IR gun? Oil dip stick gauge? The dash gauge on my '09 Ultra, i'm told, only measures the ambient air temp around the engine by the thigh and not the actual engine temp. Like I should care more about my leg comfort than warping my cylinder heads and seizing the engine.
When I purchased my cooler from Jagg I gave them a call. When I asked about monitoring oil temp he offered to send me a little adapter for the inlet side of the cooler (basically just a couple of fittings with a threaded hole for an oil temp sender). It screwed right on to the adapter and all I had to do was buy a temp gauge and sender. The sender screwed right into the adapter. It might be more accurate to take the oil temp in the case, but that was not an option for me. I figure it will give me a pretty accurate reading of the oil temp before it enters the cooler.

BTW, the gentleman at Jagg was very helpful (I think his name is Marvin). He answered all of my questions and put up with a couple of phone calls. He even called me back from the road when I had a question about installing the sender. Great customer service.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:36 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

Originally Posted by Arizona
I"m thinking of going with the H-D Premium oil cooler. Who here has done the install? Is it a simple install? No hassles or issues?
pretty simple install make sure you have a 7/16 allen head for the mount

Old 04-30-2009, 07:42 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The article in American Iron rated the Jagg 10 row as being superior to the Harley oil cooler. Less restriction is one of the things they mentioned.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbinman
The stupid dash gauge's sensor is inside your fairing right behind the headlight. You haven't noticed how inaccurate it is?

On my RG with two headlights its even more useless.
Hello? Did you read what I wrote? The dash guage is obviously usless because it's meant to measure the heat around the riders leg and not the actual engine heat. I'm asking what tools others are using to measure true engine heat.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Hello? We read what you wrote, and it's wrong. That is an "ambient air temp" gauge. It is supposed to tell you what the temp is around the bike, not any specific spot on the bike. In any case, it is worthless and replaced by many with an oil temp gauge. Your ***** tell you how hot it is between your legs.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 AM
cbears
Road Warrior

Sounds like a couple oil coolers are in my future. ...and I thought I was almost done upgrading the bikes.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
OrlandoHog
6th Gear

I am also planning on putting a 10 row Jagg onto my 09 Ultra.. Here in Central FL, we need them.. And yes, Marvin is a big help at Jagg...

I have a 6 row now on my Fatboy..

Quick Reply: Oil cooler