Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missing stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bunerosa
i have a 1997 flhpi
i bought a waterproof amp($45),j&m replacement speakers new($22) from ebay and wired it to the mic plug on dash 1/4" to 1/8" headphone adapter from radio shack($3),plug my xm xmp3 also my regular mp3 player sounds great at highway speed and when parked

I too went with just an amp and speakers using an iPod. Mounted the amp on top of the empty radio box. Didn't want the weight, nor care about a radio (I hate ads). Works great for me and I keep the storage of the empty radio box. (purchased the nylon bad from HD that fits into the box)

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 AM
bunerosa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the bag too, i always get compliments on the sound and ask how i did it, mp3 has an fm tuner but why use it with xm

Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bagger dave
I just bought my first Harley Today, 2006 Electra Glide Ex Police. It is missing a radio but has the spot in the bat wing for one. What do I need to install a full stero. I dont want to buy a factory one because they are way too expensive, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to HDF.

Another reason not to consider the HD stock headunit is the fact that your bike doesn't have the Base Audio Connector (BAC) wiring harness that plugs into the back of the factory headunit. The BAC contains the wiring for handlebar control of the headunit (and you don't have the audio switches on your handlebar controls that a civilian EG has), speaker wires, ground, power, etc.

You will need speaker adapters to mount the speakers to the inner fairing. Consider buying the 6.5" adapters from FireCap, Aaron Oregon (throttleupindustries), biketronics, and others instead of the stock HD adapters for 5.25" speakers.

Biketronics and Hawg-wired sell radio mounting kits. The biketronics kit is about $30 less than HW's and works fine, but the HW is a nicer piece fabbed from metal. Both will include a facia piece for the front of the radio to fill the space in your inner fairing around the radio.

Biketronics offers a separate switch kit for the handlebar control of the headunit for police bikes, but you need to check with them as far as compatible headunits.

Good luck with your decision.