Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with these new Dunlop's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's up with these new Dunlop's?

Evening everyone,
I think I have a doozy here. You technical guys will love this one. So, after bringing home the new bikes, I put a couple goodies on my girl's new bike and gave them both a quick wash. Here's the "huh?" part. I look at the tread on the tires of our bikes and I happen to notice the tread pattern on my girl's bike is going backwards. WTF? Ok, so I think perhaps it's a factory install goof. We're all human, it's possible. I decide to check the directional arrows on the sidewall just to be sure. Double WTF? The directional arrows on both tires show the correct orientation, forward. However, her tread pattern is reversed. No joke. Even have the pics to prove it. Just for kicks, I check those against my police bike, also an '09, and sure enough, her's are going in the opposite direction. Three '09 touring bikes, all the same tires of course, and all the tires have the arrows pointing correctly, yet her's are reversed. What gives?

Now, for many years, I've always learned that if you put a directional tire on backwards, the tire will collect water faster and hydroplane sooner rather than chanel the water out as designed. Let alone other handling issues. If that stills holds true, than how can these tires not be a defect of some sort? Is that wierd or what? Now, if I did this right, you'll be able to see the pics. Haven't uploaded here before, so pardon the goof if nothing shows up.

Anybody else see tires going in the 'wrong' tread direction before?

Attached Thumbnails What's up with these new Dunlop's?-dsc02854.jpg   What's up with these new Dunlop's?-dsc02853.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 PM
bosco 09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 09 Classic has the tread pattern in the direction of the red bike. i can't wait to hear the out come of this.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Tread

Well sir, you do raise an interesting question. Being nothing more than an old time latrine engineer at best, I would hazzard a guess by suggesting that this particular tread design is omni directional in that it works equally well in either orientation at dispersing water.
OK, I got nothing.
Bye the way, I just went out to look at my 09 tires. My back is like your red one. My front is like your blue one.
OK, I still got nothing.

Last edited by texaswiz; 04-27-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: another look
Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 PM
bosco 09
Tourer

i can't see how the tire on the blue bike could channel water from the thread with the grooves running in that direction.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Got me scratching my head and the tire on the red bike match's all pictures i can find on the Dunlop website i cant find any pictures on the dunlop website where the tire and the way it faces the front of the bike matchs the blue one id say something is not right.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:14 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

even every picture on the harley website of 360 views of bikes have the tread pattern like the direction of the red bike id say you got some defective tires and id go back where you got them and tell them they need replaced at there cost.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

tag, gotta see how this turns out

Old 04-28-2009, 03:26 AM
Rafkin
Cruiser

Subscribing to see how this turns out. Have to check mine once the sun comes up.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 AM
ULTRA Gramps
Outstanding HDF Member

My 09 Ultra is like the red one

Old 04-28-2009, 04:02 AM
Slackerzinc
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be a miss labeled tire.... Has happened before..

Quick Reply: What's up with these new Dunlop's?