Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with these new Dunlop's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
I gotta wonder if the liability costs of HD replacing thousands tires because of wear issues - outweighs the liability costs of riders hydroplaning and loosing control causing injury or death?
Something seems fishy?
Desperate times for manufacturers and consumers!
Brings to mind the Ford Explorer / Firestone situation of a few years back.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nocages4me
The blue bike would be screwed in a bad rain storm. Those tires will channel the water to the center instead of out away from the bike.
I would tend to agree with that! For those of you who have tires that look like the blue bike, is the tire labeled as the 408, as apposed to the 407?

Just wondering? I'll have to take a look at mine when I get home this evening.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a claim in RIGHT NOW on the 407s. The tires cupped really bad. My bike sounds like the front wheel bearings are falling out. I have 10k miles. The dealer said probably won't replace because of the mileage. I told em BS! So we did tread depth on NEW 408 and on GOOD portions of my 407. 1/32nd difference!

The D407s DO wear great! And... if HD were to offer a new tire, a 407 would suit me fine. I'd get 20k miles then outta the front tire.

The NEW 408 tread pattern has me concerned, too. But, tire engineers should know how a tire works, so I would imagine that what we SEE and how fluid dynamics actually work can be two different things.

I, too, wish E3s were made in these sizes.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My front is like the red one, back tire is like the blue one.Hmmm!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

My Front & Rear are both like the red bike. Both are D407's

Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Evening everyone,
I think I have a doozy here. You technical guys will love this one.. Double WTF? The directional arrows on both tires show the correct orientation, forward. However, her tread pattern is reversed. No joke. Even have the pics to prove it. Just for kicks, I check those against my police bike, also an '09, and sure enough, her's are going in the opposite direction. Three '09 touring bikes, all the same tires of course, and all the tires have the arrows pointing correctly, yet her's are reversed. What gives?

Anybody else see tires going in the 'wrong' tread direction before?
I'd like you to also post the picture showing the direction arrows. You say that they are pointing forward. Well, I do believe that if that's the case the tire is mounted wrong. The arrow should be pointing to the rear when at it's low or pavement position. The arrow shows direction of rotation, not front or back of the bike.

Last edited by wldbill; 04-28-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I just installed new Elite 3s on my '08 and the front and rear treads are opposite directions. Someone on the forum pointed it out to me before I installed them so I wouldn't be alarmed. It must be by design.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok riddle me this batman... Who decides what direction a tire should go ? Who can really tell me by looking at a tire it wont disperse water in the way its mounted with the directional arrow and who can say for sure that reversing the tread pattern will reduce cupping... Well I gotta tell ya I do believe it would be the tire manufacture as they have been doing this sh*T for years and should know something by now... I do have to laugh at a lot of the answers posted here its pretty good entertainment.. By the way if your at all superstitious I wouldnt even sit on the blue bike .... Someone FU(*ED with the tire..

Old 04-28-2009, 03:24 PM
dailydriver
Road Captain

hmmmmm.He ponders as he scratches his beard...interesting...I'd have to follow the tread and not the arrow on this one..Just my $.02

Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
bosco 09
Tourer

Originally Posted by ndnguyd
My front is like the red one, back tire is like the blue one.Hmmm!
mine is the same way

407F on the front 407 on the rear both have directional arrows and they are installed correctly

Last edited by bosco 09; 04-28-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: What's up with these new Dunlop's?