Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with these new Dunlop's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If everything that people are saying is half true, HD is taking a huge risk by not correcting the problem. Dunlop admits the change was directed by HD because of accelerated wear (cupping). Every forum on the net is talking about the issue. I am expecting to hear about a class action in the news any day now. It did not work out very good for firestone and ford. Hopefully nobody gets injured on the bikes because of the 407F.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Ramrod1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my 09 FLHTC into the dealer tonight with the front 407 cupped badly with 8300 miles. Was told that the moco would not warranty the tire and that Dunlop said that the tire wear was "normal" for the tread design and tire compound! With a long Labor Day ride coming up I went ahead and replaced it with the D-408. They felt "bad" about it and gave me 20% off the tire. Was told that they have replaced 5 or 6 already and none of the replacement tires have enough miles on them to see if the 408 are gonna be better or not.
This is sad, with the loyalty that all of us show to Harley Davidson, to be treated like this, is sad man.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

After reading all these threads on D407s I called HD Customer Service. Had a short, pleasant chat with a rep, he called my dealer and told them to replace my front tire under warranty, no hassles, no questions, no argueing. I did not even ask for this only asked if MOCO was going to do anything about these tires and said I had a low speed vibration and mild cupping at 3000 miles.

Used honey and got a lot of bees

Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Kooi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hrchdog
Dealer replaced mine monday under warranty, had 8400 miles on it. Mechanic found a bad wheel bearing on the right side and claimed that was causing the cupping problem. They changed both bearings and installed another 407 if it starts cupping I'll get it changed under warranty also.
Yea just had my left bearings go bad at 17,000 and the cupping started about at about 12,000. I wonder if the cupping is the cause of the bearing failures. Hmmm

Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 PM
BigTM
Cruiser

My 09 with 3600 miles is cupping and slight vibration. I went by the local dealer , they knew nothing of this issue????? They looked at the tire and agreed -its cupping . Im going to try an other dealer next week.
T

Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

I've got the early tread and I feel a vibration that feels like the bearings are going bad, so I'm gonna watch this thread closely.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:43 PM
TheDarkKnight
Intermediate

Have to watch this thread. Have an '09 Ultra Classic with 407F on the front.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just replaced the tires for the first time on my '09 RK at 19,480 miles. It had the D407 in the front - this tire has been cupped for some time but not severe. I usually got around 27k out of a front tire on my '05 EGC and around 14k out of a rear tire on that bike. So 19,480 is spectacular for the REAR on this '09 RK but not so great for the front tire. I've got the D408 on the front now. I'll report as time goes on how this tire performs.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:59 AM
KauaiJim
4th Gear

Went to my dealer, Showed him the cupping and the 30-40 MPH wobble. He told me he'd get back to me in a couple of days. Got my reply the other day. I was told the Moco didn't even hesitate. They were going to replace the tire. Only one catch.... The replacement tires are on back order.... Looks like it's "Take a number and wait". It looks to me that maybe the Moco has finally decided to step up to the plate and do right.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:59 AM
01hdglide
Intermediate

ok guys........i just read this on here a few days ago. and the story goes something like this. people were complaining of the front tires cupping and not getting the milage they thought they should be getting. HD complains to dunlop and what did they do? reversed the tread pattern. i don/t remember reading anything about if it handled better in cornering or rain, just read about the cupping problem. it was by accident i read the thread, but thought it was interesting. now that's all i know, and the basics.

Quick Reply: What's up with these new Dunlop's?