Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with these new Dunlop's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:50 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best solution: ditch those stock Dunlop tires! I wouldn't care if they lasted a hundred years. They're downright dangerous on rain grooves. I go with Metzler or Avons. Piece of mind (stability) is priceless.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 AM
tlmitchell
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KopperTop
Best solution: ditch those stock Dunlop tires! I wouldn't care if they lasted a hundred years. They're downright dangerous on rain grooves. I go with Metzler or Avons. Piece of mind (stability) is priceless.
Great idea on a '08 or earlier.... tell me someone else that makes tires in the oddball '09 sizes and report back. 180/65-16 rear, 130/80-17 front. Thanks.

TL

Old 07-19-2009, 10:10 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=rogerfromco;5291615]
Originally Posted by RANDYDOWDY
I worked at a GoodYear tire plant for almost 8 years. Goodyears, Kellys, Dunlops, and one other generic brand were the SAME EXACT TIRE! The machines made the same raw tire, some went to GY molds, some to K, Some to Dunops. Same tire, just different branding on the sidewalls.

As far as front versus rear, today I put a "front" tire on the rear of my Sportster. Are there any safety issues with that? It is a Dunlop HD tire. Thank you.[/quote]

Your comment at the the end if illogical. Not sure what you are trying to say.

BTW - were you a janitor or tire designer at Goodyear? That might make difference on the credibility of your statement too!!!
I made the 2nd and 3rd belt for MRT tires, you know the ones that go on School Buses and big rigs? I also spent a lot of time on the RTS tire machines. I do know what I am talking about regarding the construction of tires.

As my comment about front/rear tires being illogical, what is illogical about it? The HD Dunlop tires says on the side of it that it is a FRONT tire. I put it on the back of my bike. Again, what is illogical about it? It was a 16" tire, and it rides fine.

That was a good job, I hated to lose it. But got in a little trouble, the Feds didn't like my 2nd income, lmao.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've ridden 100K's of miles with D402's and although the groove-tracking behavior is irritating I've never found it to be dangerous in any way. BTW Dunlop Elite 3's, which I'm running now, also reduce the wandering considerably. Also, I don't think Avon or Metzeler make a tire in the '09 sizes yet, do they? I know there is no Elite 3 yet.

Last edited by iclick; 07-19-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:25 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

While toe 402s wander can be unerving, I'd hardly call them 'dangerous' As far as the 407 and 408s, I have ridden them thousands of miles and had absolutely no problems with wandering like the 402s.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Anybody else see tires going in the 'wrong' tread direction before?
Look at the way a tire rotates, the tire on the red bike would have the point in the V hit the ground first, thus channeling the water up the groove and out the side of the tire...

The tire on the blue bike, the ends of the V hit the ground first and channel water up to the point in the V, this will give the water no where to go....

The reverse V seems much better....

Old 07-19-2009, 08:22 PM
ULTRA ZOOM
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

09 Ultra looks like the red one also

Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
bosco 09
Tourer

Originally Posted by teqsand
Look at the way a tire rotates, the tire on the red bike would have the point in the V hit the ground first, thus channeling the water up the groove and out the side of the tire...

The tire on the blue bike, the ends of the V hit the ground first and channel water up to the point in the V, this will give the water no where to go....

The reverse V seems much better....
well said. just look at any tire on a car that is highly rated for wet weather performance and the "V" is positioned like the red bike tire and for the reason you stated. the Goodyear GS-D3's on my hot rod Subie and the Goodyears on my Corvette are both like the red bike tire.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:28 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you're mentioning something interesting as far as how the tread pattern will affect the hydroplaning effect. water doen't know what direction to go. so if the grooves were at a ninety degree from center, like pointing straight out to the sidewall, it'd work the same. just wait till they wear out and hopefully soon the elite 3 will be out for the 09 models. fantastic tire.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:36 AM
amkrat
6th Gear

A buddy of mine found Harley Davidson's explanation to the tire issue. The new tire (D408F) has replaced the D407F. They say it will offer increased tire wear. Here's where he found it:

http://www.hdtalking.com/brakes_tire...ange_09_a.html

I don't know what to think of wet weather riding and how it will expel the water. When you look at the tire from the front, the grooves look backward, but the grooves are actually pointing back and out on the actual contact patch on the ground, so it makes sense to me that water may be pushed out more efficiently. Who knows, it may actually be an improvement.

Quick Reply: What's up with these new Dunlop's?