Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with these new Dunlop's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
amkrat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I found this post I was hoping someone had the answer too. My Ultra front tire appears to be mounted backwards too. When I first looked at the bike on the showroom floor, it was parked next to two other Ultras, and noticed that it was different from them. The salesman didn't know why, but knew there was a recent change in the tires. After looking at some other '09's at a recent HOG picnic, it appears that the change was made around the 1st of April. All the tires we looked at that had the tread running like the red bike's, had manufacturing dates of the 13th week of '09 or earlier. Week 14 (1st week of April) and later, they go the other way. Maybe some engineer from Dunlop will read this and explain.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amkrat
When I found this post I was hoping someone had the answer too. My Ultra front tire appears to be mounted backwards too. When I first looked at the bike on the showroom floor, it was parked next to two other Ultras, and noticed that it was different from them. The salesman didn't know why, but knew there was a recent change in the tires. After looking at some other '09's at a recent HOG picnic, it appears that the change was made around the 1st of April. All the tires we looked at that had the tread running like the red bike's, had manufacturing dates of the 13th week of '09 or earlier. Week 14 (1st week of April) and later, they go the other way. Maybe some engineer from Dunlop will read this and explain.
Good luck with that! Seems we won't get that lucky because Harley will give you the "that was Dunlop's doing, not ours" and Dunlop will give you the same in reverse. Don't know why it's such a big deal. Somebody either screwed up or it was a design change. Why so evasive, who knows.
When I contacted Dunlop, it was basically, 'we only build what Harley tells us to build'. True to a point, but tire experts should at least be able to advise Harley which way the damn tread goes! Perhaps time will tell.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Somebody either screwed up or it was a design change. Why so evasive, who knows?
That's easy. They're called lawyers. If either party says anything they open themselves up to law suites and that isn't going to happen!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:05 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
I have a claim in RIGHT NOW on the 407s. The tires cupped really bad. My bike sounds like the front wheel bearings are falling out. I have 10k miles. The dealer said probably won't replace because of the mileage. I told em BS! So we did tread depth on NEW 408 and on GOOD portions of my 407. 1/32nd difference!

The D407s DO wear great! And... if HD were to offer a new tire, a 407 would suit me fine. I'd get 20k miles then outta the front tire.

The NEW 408 tread pattern has me concerned, too. But, tire engineers should know how a tire works, so I would imagine that what we SEE and how fluid dynamics actually work can be two different things.

I, too, wish E3s were made in these sizes.
Do the 408 work better?

Last edited by gmurdock; 08-07-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:08 PM
chucks9999
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
That's easy. They're called lawyers. If either party says anything they open themselves up to law suites and that isn't going to happen!
Do you know what you call 1000's lawyers stranded in the ocean? " A good start "

Old 07-18-2009, 11:34 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So how do we put pressure on Dunlop/Harley to get us replacement tires at pro rated prices, base on mileage. Clearly we have a defect in design here.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:38 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone explain cupping so a newb will know what to look for?

Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

MOCO replaced my front tire at half price for the tire. I didn't start the ball rollin until 9k miles and they said it was basically wore out so they would only pay for half. The labor was not reduced, but I took the wheel off the bike and took it to the dealer.

MY dealer was great about this and made repeated calls to MOCO to get at least something worked out. The tire was cupped very badly. Made an airplane type sound for the last few thousand miles I ran it(replaced it at 13k miles). Sounded like wheel bearing was going to fall out. It was EASY to see the cupping. The center tread blocks ended up being about 3/8s in. different in height!!!

Centenial HD in Patalaska Ohio did a GREAT job!

Happy with the 408 and drove through a Frog Strangler in Indiana and really felt confident driving.

BTW... my rear went to 2/32nds at 16k miles. Happy with that, too.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-18-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:16 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dandy1950
Heres another question for ya. A friend of mine ordered a new rear Dunlap for his Sportster from J&P. When he was mounting it he noticed it was stamped made in Indoniasa. (or some foreign country) I thought Dunlap tires were made in the USA? Anyway it only lasted 4000 miles!
I worked at a GoodYear tire plant for almost 8 years. Goodyears, Kellys, Dunlops, and one other generic brand were the SAME EXACT TIRE! The machines made the same raw tire, some went to GY molds, some to K, Some to Dunops. Same tire, just different branding on the sidewalls.

As far as front versus rear, today I put a "front" tire on the rear of my Sportster. Are there any safety issues with that? It is a Dunlop HD tire. Thank you.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:45 AM
rogerfromco
Road Master

[quote=RANDYDOWDY;5291567]I worked at a GoodYear tire plant for almost 8 years. Goodyears, Kellys, Dunlops, and one other generic brand were the SAME EXACT TIRE! The machines made the same raw tire, some went to GY molds, some to K, Some to Dunops. Same tire, just different branding on the sidewalls.

As far as front versus rear, today I put a "front" tire on the rear of my Sportster. Are there any safety issues with that? It is a Dunlop HD tire. Thank you.[/quote]

Your comment at the the end if illogical. Not sure what you are trying to say.

BTW - were you a janitor or tire designer at Goodyear? That might make difference on the credibility of your statement too!!!

Quick Reply: What's up with these new Dunlop's?