Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Oil Leak!

OK I have seen it here on the forums that some of the new oil coolers leak and I know I can do a search and probably find my answer and I am going to take it to the dealer for the warranty work so let me vent a little...

2009 Ultra with the Harley oil cooler installed and on my way back from a short trip this weekend I noticed that my seat had what I originally thought was sweat from my fat a** and then I noticed that the around the timer cover and sprayed back over the engine was oil. I know oil is good for keeping the engine cool so I thought this might be a new feature of the '09's, since all the heat problems from the past, maybe they are trying a new oil cooling trick... anyway I checked my oil and was only 1/2 quart down and wasn't that far from home, so I drove it home and parked it in the garage...

Calling the dealer today to get it fixed but my point is if I have heard it in the forums about issues with the cooler why don't the service shops know that these coolers have been a problem and let me know before I leave the dealership to make sure I watch for any leaks (I watch for leaks anyway but I'm saying)? Or has Harley not had that many issues with coolers? I will ask the dealer as well...

OK if you made it this far for those of you that wrench on your bikes, do you do any wrenching on your new warranty covered bike?

I am a little lazy but like to do my own stuff but this time I am glad I had the dealer do the install at least they have to cover the fix but on the other hand had I done the install I probably could have prevented the leak.....

Thanks for letting me vent...

Old 04-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't recall hearing much about this with the oil coolers. Generally they've been pretty trouble free from what I've seen on here (lack of complaints) and I also had one on my '05 EGC.

Sometimes things happen obviously so you've got one of those situations. It could be an oil line hose that wasn't secured tightly or has a hole in it, one of the fittings wasn't tight, etc. Whatever it is they'll make it right (and make sure they CLEAN UP the mess too!) and it's probably something simple. AGGRAVATING yes definitely...

I've heard the coolers aren't difficult to install so I may do my own on my '09 RK when the weather warms up. I've been doing my own service on my bike and keeping meticulous records. I did the 1k, 5k and will be doing the 10k this week.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Called the dealer and he said that they have had issues with the coolers leaking. I know my service rep well so I asked him to tell me in the future when they have known issues so I can be on the lookout

Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
SCSDRO
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the HD Premium oil cooler on my '08 RK as a winter project. Everything went as planned until I started her up and after and idle warm up I noticed a small leak between the new adaptor plate and old oil filter mounting location. The gasket that comes with the kit either has one side with adhesive or both sides without (this is specified in the installation instructions as well). Obtained a new gasket (this time I got lucky and found one with one sided adhesive) and re-installed the adaptor plate assembly. As asvised by others herer on the forum, I used some Indian Head gasket sealer on the non adhesive side.

Needless to say, I was VERY happy to NOT find any leaks. Been running strong ever since.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
09 UltraFine
Cruiser

If you get the gasket with sealer on one side, where does that side go? Would it be better to seal both sides? Thanks

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM
SCSDRO
Intermediate

If I remember correctly, the instructions say to apply the gasket to the adaptor plate if you get a gasket with one adhesive side. As advised by others here, I also used Indian Head gasket sealer on the engine side surface which seemed to do the trick.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM
gibby122
Road Captain

It could be the filter also, I had the seal fail on 1 just a few of weeks ago. It was on there good and snug, hadnt leaked (that I noticed) for the 1st few months that it was on there. $130.00 and 2 oil changes in just over 2000 miles. Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat...