Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me the Street Glide IS/IS NOT a Bad Idea for a First Bike.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
pidnaul
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I say go for it!! Got my bike last year at 27 and I'm glad I didn't wait. This is my 1st bike and just took the riders course before I got it. I'm 5'7 and 160lbs , so planting your feet to the ground should be easy for you. (stock hight was a streatch for me) Good luck!

Edit---->F**K I was 28 last year. Damn I'm almost 30!!!

Last edited by pidnaul; 04-27-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the class + get the bike = ride and enjoy.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My story

Stats 5'10" 190lbs 45 years old

Had a honda when 21

Fast forward 2007 June 07 bought a 1200 Sportster, 7 weeks and 700 miles later Aug 07 bought a Fatboy. 5 months and 5000 miles later, Mar 29 08 bought the 08 Ultra Classic.

Look at the money I lost going this route and go easy with the SG

Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
fishercat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take the class, then maybe rent a couple. I bought an 06 Ultra right around christmas because it was a good time to buy so I got an awesome deal. But I never got to ride it before hand and didn't try out any of the other models. I ended up not really liking it an traded it for a SG. If this is your first bike I would suggest trying out a few different ones to find the one with the right fit.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM
mudsnark
Advanced

Do yourself a favor: go with the SG. I was in your position last year. I went back-and-forth. I ended up purchasing a Dyna...great bike. After a mere 2500miles, I took a RG out for a test ride...HOOKED. Like that day. It was an expensive decision, but I don't regret it. Take the MSF course. Respect the bike and its power, but you won't have a problem. One issue, you are taller (like me). Focus on the seat/windshield and/or forward controls. Make sure it fits you right. Wind buffeting bothers some, but there's always going to be wind. Enjoy the ride.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
Street Glide is and awesome bike. I would suggest that you put on the the Saddle bag protectors so if you drop it it would be on steal rather than the painted bag. I personally put on the comfort profile ones because I wanted a little more chrome. Once you get your skills up you can take them off.

Don't underestimate the MSF or dealer Hog Beginner rides.

Ride safe.
Funny, I have been riding for years, and this is the FIRST thing I did to my 09 SG (see pic). The reality is that there are 2 types of bikers- those who have dropped a bike, and Liars. It happens - the crashbars work great. It is cheap protection.

One other thing- don't get anything except an 09. Sorry, completely different bike than 08 and earlier - I know.
A big guy like you will be fine with a SG if you respect it.

Ed

Attached Thumbnails Convince me the Street Glide IS/IS NOT a Bad Idea for a First Bike.-2009-sg5.jpg  
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck it's always nice to hear about another Bostonian taking to the two wheels.
Be Safe and Enjoy the one way trip called life.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by texslix
Yah I first rode a friend of mine's dirt bike like 3 years ago and have wanted to make the next steps ever since. We've since gone on a few rides with her or her folks and it's just something I can't deny after this long lol. Guess mom was right, if you wait for it and still want it then it's real.

But as for the MSF ya there's a special at the nearby one in Boston where they're offering the classroom portion free and give you a month window to finish the course portion, get my feet wet see if it's something I wanna do and if the timing is right then go from there.

Thanks for the responses and advice.
tsx
Now watch me get flamed, but you asked.....I think everyone's first bike should be a dirt bike. While I can't comment on these courses like MSF I do know that most newer riders can't ride for beans! My friends and I laugh at the footdraggers who can't even park their bikes let alone hold a line in a high speed sweeper. One idiot on a Road King nearly head on-ed me, in Sturgis a couple of years back. They fall down in parking lots and are scared of the rain. Why? I don't know for sure, but if you learn on a putt putt riding around pylons in a parking lot, you're not qualified to ride a bagger up a gravel road at high speed, or in the rain storm that turns suddenly to snow, at least in my opinion. Ride in the dirt off road, do burnouts, broadslides, get crossed up in turns. You'll get the feel of the bike and reaction will become second nature. You'll need that someday. Sorry, flame away newbies, but you can't learn to react in a classroom. Yeah, you'll probably fall down a few times, but when you feel you ride well in the dirt, get that Streetglide. You can get custom paint, extended bags, whatever and not worry about falling over in a parking lot and scuffing it up. Best of all other people will compliment you on your riding skills and you'll have more fun riding that glide. That's how we did it in the old days and I'm still riding, well over 40 years later.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get it, I got an Ultra after a 20 year break, haven't regretted a minute.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

I've been riding for more years than I care to admit to. Terrie's been riding for about three years. When she attended the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course, I tried talking her into a Street Glide but she was afraid of it (she thought it was too big).

Two Dynas later, she finally got an 09 Street Glide on Nov. 15 and now she will tell you "I should have just listened to JC all along......what a waste of money those Dynas were".

By the way, I'm 6'4" and 220lbs. so it sounds like we're pretty damn close. You'll do fine on that bike. Let me just say that you'll end up riding it a lot more in the city than you're thinking, too. It's just a very easy handling bike! You'll be surprised at how nimble that bike is, considering it's size.......everybody is who rides one for the first time.

By the way.......at 6'4" you'll need one of the 8" lipped (Windvest, Clearview, etc.) windshields in order to be comfortable and to get rid of the wind buffeting of the helmet. Be sure it's one of the lipped windshields and not a Harley windshield......a Harley windshield will have to be even taller because they don't have the lip at the top.

I had to wait a long time for my Clearview but Windvest had them in stock!

Last edited by Open Road; 04-27-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Convince me the Street Glide IS/IS NOT a Bad Idea for a First Bike.