Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detach Tour Pak Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:21 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detach Tour Pak Kit

I have done a lot of research on this and also read a lot of threads on this forum, and every time I think I am finally clear I go back to the HD site and get nervous again.

I have an 08 Ultra, and I want a detach kit for the tour pak. At the moment it is bulk standard.

I think all I need is 53303-07, which in the very same description on a lot of HD sites says "This kit includes everything needed to convert the rigid-mount Tour-Pak to an easy on-and-off detachable version " and then promptly goes on to say "With the addition of Docking Hardware Kit P/N 53803-06 (sold separately)".

I really would appreciate a definitive answer on this.

Secondly, wanted to get an idea of what cunning plans people have come up with to deal with the passanger intercom lead without having to take the seat off, or am I going to have to do that?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 AM
eskimoSG09
Cruiser

I checked the HD website. You do need both of the above parts, and I believe the part numbers are correct. The first one is the detachable rack itself, and the other part goes on your bike and the rack mounts on to it.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by eskimoSG09
I checked the HD website. You do need both of the above parts, and I believe the part numbers are correct. The first one is the detachable rack itself, and the other part goes on your bike and the rack mounts on to it.
Have you actually fitted this option? Thing is if you look at the following:

http://www.adventurehd.com/webstore/...pname=viewprod

This implies that the detach kit is included in the first part number and hence a sissy bar can be added.

I have also found references that say you use 53804-06 together with 53276-04, but I think these 2 together make up the 53303-07.

Interestingly, looking at the fitment matrix in the link below, it implies that the 53804-06 doesn't fit the 08 Ultra anyway. Very irritating this

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...p?SKU=53804-06

Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two forms of the detachable hardware - the "forward" mounting points (53803) are used for the sissy bar uprights and the solo detachable luggage rack. The "rearward" mounting points (53804) are used for the two-up detachable racks, both the tour-pack rack and two-up luggage rack. I have personally used these and can attest that they are the right ones. The 53804 mounting points are the ones with the chrome "hoops" that you see in the pictures on the HD parts website.

It appears that the 53303-07 kit includes the rearward mounting points as part of the kit. The statement that you can add a sissybar upright with the addition of the 53803 mounting brackets kit is correct since it uses the forward mounting points.

These pictures might give you a better idea of what it looks like on the bike:

These are two pics of the two-up detachable rack that uses the "rearward" mounting brackets:

These are the forward mounting brackets that are used for the sissybar upright and the solo luggage rack.

You can see the rearward and forward mounting brackets on this photo if you look closely. The rearward brackets are the chrome hoops and are used to mount the tour-pak:

Here's another look at the rearward brackets:

And finally, the tour-pak mounted on the rearward tabs, which are apparently included in the 53307 kit (I don't have firsthand knowledge of this kit, but I use the detachable two-up tour-pak rack and rearward mounting brackets):

Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 AM
eskimoSG09
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Have you actually fitted this option? Thing is if you look at the following:

http://www.adventurehd.com/webstore/...pname=viewprod

This implies that the detach kit is included in the first part number and hence a sissy bar can be added.

I have also found references that say you use 53804-06 together with 53276-04, but I think these 2 together make up the 53303-07.

Interestingly, looking at the fitment matrix in the link below, it implies that the 53804-06 doesn't fit the 08 Ultra anyway. Very irritating this

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...p?SKU=53804-06

I ride a Street Glide, not an Ultra, so no I have not installed these parts. I stand by my original position that you need both parts. Why not check with the parts dude at your local shop? I fear that if you only get 53303-07, you will experience more irritation with another trip to the shop to pick up 53803-06.

I do have the 4 point docking hardware with a luggage rack and backrest on my bike and the application is similar. jmho.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by eskimoSG09
I ride a Street Glide, not an Ultra, so no I have not installed these parts. I stand by my original position that you need both parts. Why not check with the parts dude at your local shop? I fear that if you only get 53303-07, you will experience more irritation with another trip to the shop to pick up 53803-06.

I do have the 4 point docking hardware with a luggage rack and backrest on my bike and the application is similar. jmho.
I agree with your philosophy, apart form the fact that according to the sites I have studied the 53803 doesn't fit an 08 Ultra. My suspicion is that the only way you get the detach kit for an 08 is to buy it as part of the complete 53303-07.

Pastor John has made a great posting which I will work through,

Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Thanks for the great post Pastor John, really informative. I see you are running an 08 Roadglide. I had a look at the docking hardware as per the link below

https://www.latus-harley-davidson.co...-06&review=add

In the description it specifically states "Fits '97-'08 Touring models (except FLHTCUI, and '07-'08 FLHRSE3/4)."

Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

On my EGS Got so confused with all the numbers just went to my Indy and told him want to be able to Quick Detach the Back Rest and Tourpack both and let him order the parts .. Might have cost a little extra that way but at least knew was right the first time.. The Parts were not cheap and didn't want to end up with the wrong stuff...

Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

If you read the parts catalog "carefully" it tells you that all you need for just the detachable tour pack is the 53303-07 kit which includes all the pieces to do that "BUT" if you want to take the tour pack off and "ADD" a detachable backrest then you must buy the other docking hardware kit # 53803-06.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:19 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Peppa1
If you read the parts catalog "carefully" it tells you that all you need for just the detachable tour pack is the 53303-07 kit which includes all the pieces to do that "BUT" if you want to take the tour pack off and "ADD" a detachable backrest then you must buy the other docking hardware kit # 53803-06.
I agree with that interpretation. I also think this is the only way to do it on an 08 Ultra - I don't think the seperates will work.

Kinda hoping for a post along lines of "Got 08 Ultra, used the 53303-07, it works and that is all required", but I think I am getting there. Tks Peppa1

Quick Reply: Detach Tour Pak Kit