Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detach Tour Pak Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

sgdiesel, while you are waiting for the "perfect" response or link, you can consider what's different about an Ultra that would cause HD to exclude the Ultra. What's different is you have lights, speakers, and passsenger controls and the other touring models don't have all of the associated wiring that the Ultra has for those components.

The two-up detachable tour pak rack with the hardware shown in the Latus HD link will allow you to remove the tour pak and reinstall it like any other touring model, however, you will need to deal with the extra wiring your bike has. Most simply unplug the wiring and stuff it in the space available under the seat.

Until model year '06, HD excluded not only the Ultra but also the EG Classic from the two-up detachable rack fitment. But owners were able to figure out that the rack and mounting hardware would work on their Ultras and Classics if they addressed (since HD did not) the wiring issues.

Get out your HD service manual and it will tell you how to remove the tour pak from your Ultra, so you will know how to disconnect the wiring. With that information, you can use the HD detachable rack and mounting hardware to have a detachable tour pak, though you won't have CB or intercom, unless you do as others have and find work arounds to retain these functions.

Good luck with your project

Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
I agree with that interpretation. I also think this is the only way to do it on an 08 Ultra - I don't think the seperates will work.

Kinda hoping for a post along lines of "Got 08 Ultra, used the 53303-07, it works and that is all required", but I think I am getting there. Tks Peppa1
I have an 08 Ultra Classic and as you can see by my picture, the tour pack is detachable. If you want to go the easiest, cleanest way then get yourself part # 53303-07 and you are all set. I chose a different route Part # 53276-04 in that I have a Kuryakyn lay down license plate on mine and did not need an antenna relocation kit for the radio because all I listen to are either MP3 CD's or now songs played on my Ipod shuffle. When you detach just stuff all the wires under the seat and you are ready to go. I assume you will be getting a solo seat for the bike also since the stock road sofa looks kinda bad if you leave it on without the trunk.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:24 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks HarleyPingMan and Peppa1:

I bit the bullet today and ordered the kit 53303-07 as I am sure this is correct.

Currently I have removed the Tourpak and really like the new look, also makes getting on and off the bike a whole lot more friendly.

From a wiring perspective, I am thinking about adding a 12 pin Deutsch connector that I will run the rear left speaker and pillion headset, as currently that cannot be split.

I was really keen on the badlander seat as I really like the look of that, but now that I ordered the detach kit I may as well go solo and then use the standard seat and tourpak when the missus joins me. Pre detach thoughts went to Badlander in case I wanted to take someone on a short ride.

I will begin investigating solo seats tonight. I presume, based on what i see on your bike Peppa1, that there is sufficient "cavity" under the seat for the wires. Which seat did you go for?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:34 PM
kupitz
Cruiser

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by eskimoSG09
I ride a Street Glide, not an Ultra, so no I have not installed these parts. I stand by my original position that you need both parts. Why not check with the parts dude at your local shop? I fear that if you only get 53303-07, you will experience more irritation with another trip to the shop to pick up 53803-06.

I do have the 4 point docking hardware with a luggage rack and backrest on my bike and the application is similar. jmho.
Simply put you do NOT need both parts if detaching the tourpak is all you're after. You need the additional 53803-06 only if you want to add a sissy bar or luggage rack with the tourpak removed.