Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Trim Ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool Headlight Trim Ring

Recently installed an HD Dual Lamp Halogen Bulb and a headlight Visor Style Trim ring on my 09 SG. After securing it as much as possible, I find that it still wobbles somewhat if you try to move it with both hands from side to side. Don't want it to fly off while travelling......

Anyone else experienced this and if so, any ideas on eliminating this problem would be most appreciated.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:18 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced the chrome trim ring with a black one and have the same problem. I don't see the function of the spring clip at the top of the ring. When I pulled the original there was a pop when the clip let go. I've removed it since and it didn't seem to be clipped on anything. It hasn't come off after about 200 miles, but it does move back a forth if I use both hands. Hopefully someone else has the handle on this...it ain't rocket science.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 AM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're talking about this trim ring, then I feel your pain. It fits kinda big and when you go to tighten the screw on bottom, as it snugs up it leaves a big gap. I remember reading that people were putting weather stripping inside the ring to get a tighter fit around the original housing and that would eleminate the gap. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet....

Fatguy

Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 AM
eskimoSG09
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same trim ring on my 09SG. Dealer installed before delivery, and yes, the gap is there. I have not yet tried to rotate it, and cannot go test it now as I am at work , but when I was polishing it the other day I don't recall thinking it was loose.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBoldRider
I just replaced the chrome trim ring with a black one and have the same problem. I don't see the function of the spring clip at the top of the ring. When I pulled the original there was a pop when the clip let go. I've removed it since and it didn't seem to be clipped on anything. It hasn't come off after about 200 miles, but it does move back a forth if I use both hands. Hopefully someone else has the handle on this...it ain't rocket science.
That's what I'm talking about......I can live with the gap or may try the weatherstrip idea. My main concern was not having the ring pop off at 70mph and damage the sh.. out of the front fender.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
billyp326
Cruiser

Had the same problem as the rest of you guys. Still i little gap on the bottom where the tighten screw is. Sorry for the bad pic.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
deluxe drew
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took off the original ring, lined the inside of the visor trim ring with weather stripping and fit around the headlamp bucket assembly. Fit perfect this way, no gap, no rattle.

It wasn't even close to fitting over the stock trim ring. Over a 1/4" gap when fully tightened.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

I used to have this problem... Have you loosend the original Headlight trim ring? If not, loosen it 1st, it doesnt take much, just enough for the new larger ring to slid in between the nacell and original trim ring. mine is as snug as a bug. no gap.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same gap at the bottom but otherwise the ring fits tight. I did the weatherstripping thing though because the ring howled like crazy from the wind when I'd get over 30 mph. No more howl and I really like the beefier look.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 PM
cgsiluk
Intermediate

i put two different types of weather stripping. The hard plastic one with the brush like top and the foam thick one. The hard(brush top) one i used on the top ring to help secure the rim on top. The thick foam one i used around the light rim. It is very secure now and there is no gap.

Quick Reply: Headlight Trim Ring