Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 ultra should I?, feeler

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:14 PM
freebrd
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 09 ultra owners question

Loving the 03 Road King, averaging 13/15k miles/yr. She's been a trooper! Love to ride and get chances to take 4 day weekend rides a few times a year. I don't post much, but try to read up and use the search to find my answers.

Thought I'd ask some 09 Ultra riders for some honest opinion of the bike and curious of any concerns. I don't expect huge probs, just curious of stuff like in 07 with issues with IDS, etc. That first year production thingy... After all these years, I may have wife talked into trying one, and can now afford one. Been planning for a few years to get an Ultra so hoping to hear happy thoughts of course. :-)

freebrd (my nick as long as I can remember)

Last edited by freebrd; 04-26-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Do it, you won't regret it. Plus you'll be stimulating the economy!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
spiker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same decision to make.Went with a 09 Road King Classic,everything I heard about the 09's was good.Traded my 06 Superglide in on it,lost some money ,oh well.Have a 02EGC my wife and I go on,56,000 miles,keeping that for everyday and work bike.The new bike is for our vacations, church,weekends together,ect.If it doesn't put to much of a strain on your finances,I'd say go for it,you'll love it.Life is short.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 PM
freebrd
Advanced

Stimulating the economy? This is kinda like putting fertilizer on one corn stalk in a Ks corn field. lol Thanks for the reply though.

Thanks for the reply spiker. No strain on the finances. Been digging out of stupid dept over 15yrs so being a little more responsible nowadays. I'm southern... type like I talk. lol

Last edited by freebrd; 04-26-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 PM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '09 Ultra and believe it is the best running and handling Ultra built to date. The MOCO addressed all the issues except for heat; the lean running setup from the factory generates a lot of engine heat. I had the dealer install the Stage 1 upgrade on delivery with SE A/C, SE Touring Slip Ons, and SE Race Tuner which really improves performance and, if tuned well, reduces heat. As for handling, the new frame eliminates the infamous rear wobble and the new motor mounts reduce vibration at idle. You need to ride one yourself; go to a dealer and take a demo ride.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

whatever u do DONT demo one u will be signing the papers the same day.they ride sweet handle good and it was a bit faster than my 07 probably the lower gearing.even the 6th gear was usable unlike my 07. cant say much cause it was just a demo not like i put some miles on it.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tuesday I am taking in my 09 for the 1000 mile service. I have no negative issues to report.

On a minor note I wished they put 90 degree valves stems to make it easier to frequently check tire pressure. Not much room for fat fingers!

Other than that---No Problems!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM
freebrd
Advanced

Thanks guys. I do plan on demo'ing one this week. I'm a little vertically challenged for the 09's, but the UC and EGC fits me soo well up to the 09's. Had the opportunity last weekend, but tried to put it out of my mind. It's kind of hard to justify to myself with a super 03 road king that has been good to me. I'm in the 'wanting' mode. Too bad I can't win a nice lottery. Would have 50 different bikes, including the oil leaking old skool. Now how can you not love those 'ol bobbers??

Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior

I had an '03 RKC, and I loved that bike (IMHO one of the best looking bikes in Harley's stable), but this '09 Ultra has that one beaten hands down. Handling is nothing short of phenomenal for a bike this size, riding two up is easier, plenty of power - I'm just lovin' life on this bike. Take one for a test ride - you're going to be amazed at what they've done since '03.

(by the way, I think the IDS came out in '08...)

Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm happy with mine so far. Ride is smooth and it handles nicer than the old metric I had before this. Its nice to have a radio and the electronic cruise is just awesome. It sits quite high, so for me its a bit of a chore just kicking the leg over to get on. I put the soos 1" extensions on the floorboards and Mustang backrest for more comfort. 5th gear whines like others have complained but synthetic oil will probably fix that. 6th gear is very usable. HD should have clearcoated these wheels IMO, what a pain to polish! I put the Wheeldock centerstand on to help with that chore. The Wheeldock is great and I have no "bike accidentally rolling off the stand" issues. I will keep this Ultra!! It is a pure joy to ride and it doesn't look too shabby either!

Quick Reply: 09 ultra should I?, feeler