Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

glasses and windshields

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default glasses and windshields

I know there have to be some other riders here who wear prescription glasses. Im wondering what you do for eye/sun protection? Do you just wear a pair of prescription sunglasses, or are there some sunglasses/goggles that fit over glasses that dont look completely ridiculous? Right now Im wearing the magnetic "clip on" sunglesses and they vibrate a lot in the wind.

Speaking of wind buffeting, I just put my stock 4" windshield back on and find Im getting a ton of buffeting. I think a 6" would make a huge difference while not hiding behind a windshield all summer. I bought a tall windshield last fall from Clark's Custom Windshield (Half Moon Wings) and the customer service and prices are excellent. But Im wondering if a recurve would be worth the extra money? Who makes that style besides ClearView?

Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
billyp326
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put my stock 4"er back on my bike for the same reasons. I had a 10" screen on and got sick and tired of hiding behind it all season long. After putting on the stock windshield and getting all the buffeting, I think I will be investing in a 6 1/2" Klokwerks screen. One that I can still see over but don't get all the buffeting

Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wear prescription sunglasses with no problem.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,016 Likes on 3,601 Posts

I wear Rx glasses too...1 pair of Serengeti and a pair of Ray Ban wrap around type...I just bought a new flip up full face... i wore it today but Dog gone...hot is hot...hed to stop after an hour and put my shorty back on...

Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im Tired of looking through three pices of plastic. Eye glass sun glass clip ons and wind shield. I can't see worth a ****. f--ing eye sight. My right eye keeps changing from hr to hr day to day account UVites.Goes from 20-20 corrected to 20-50 then tears. Im going try a face shield. Clear for night. Tinted for day. See how that works out.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

I wear Rx. I have a pair of polarized Rx sunglasses. The frames are by Maui Jim sunglasses. I had the non Rx Maui Jim sunglassese lenses replaced with the Rx. I received cautions that the Rx be distorted because of the radical curviture required by the Maui Jim sunglasses frames.

Well, I took the risk and bought what has become the best sunglasses I have ever had. Expensive though. $550 for the lenses and I recall something like $200 for the frames. Gotta wear them for the rest of my life even if my prescription changes.

I have no problem with the windshield on my Road Glide, or with the flip up lid on my helmet when I go full face head gear.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
02RKC
Advanced
Default Re: Glasses/Shields

Chuck,
I too have an 09 SG I replaced my stock shield with a Clearview 8" with recurve. The new shield works great for me and mama... I wear prescription glasses from the WalMart vision center. They're called Rec Specks, they have black plastic frames and have the rubber around the inside of the frame. I have the transition lenses in mine, they were about $200.00 but worth every penny. They do not fog up like the Wiley X ones that I had before. Hope this helps.

Doug

Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Ummagumma
Road Master

Received 1,363 Likes on 609 Posts

Have a pair of Wiley X prescriptioned goggles that transition with the sunlight so can wear them all day for long trips. Round the hood, I just wear my glasses and a ball cap. Works fine.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:30 PM
hdlowryder
Tourer

I have a pair of RX WileyX's and they work great with the foam seal that keeps the elements from your eyes.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 656 Likes on 523 Posts

got a place near me that cuts lenses they hooked me up with panoptixs bifocals transition lens with a yellow tint (for night ridin)really happy with them.one tip if u get foam lined make sure there closed cell foam the open cell will disinegrate.

Quick Reply: glasses and windshields