Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strangest thing I ever heard.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009 | 06:52 AM
parakiller
Road Captain

Sounds like he knows what he is talking about to me. You should pay them for the work they have done up to this point...get your bike back...go to bike mechanic school and do it yourself.

Old 04-27-2009 | 06:59 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
First off , i'm shocked that a shop would get on this forum and do what he just did. This kid is 18 yo if i heard correctly. His story is grosly distorted and how unprofessional this has turned out to be. Out of respect for His father, I will not give a rebuttle at this time. However you can bet he will hear from me first thing this morning. My question is, why is this "Kid" being allowed to do this build ?
This "KID" seems to know exactly what he is talking about. From everything i've read, I'd say give them the chance to do it correctly. I've worked in shops and it's tough to please everyone, but what they are telling you does make sence.

Old 04-27-2009 | 07:00 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

ummmmmm............ welllllllll, I don't understand half of what I read, but can see points on both sides, you can't please everyone. Shops trying thats always a plus now a days, could have sent it home and say "thats normal" bet that would have happened at more then half the shops. But some things a shop shouldn't take on if it can't deliever because of a customers unrealistic goal, your our expert thats why we come to you and if I can't get a build with this tq and this hp with stock reliabilty and thats what I want, you tell me and if I force your hand what if we " " or " " then your comprmising to make me happy if it ain't going to happen it ain't going to happen. A customers little bit of knowledge sometimes makes a dangerous customer he can talk the talk but not do the walk, but now adays you have to try to be versed to be kept going for a ride. So no matter how unrealistic the goal of the build may have been you agreed to do it and now the customer expects it to be done right. Good luck, and kudos for sticking around and doing the right thing and not send him packing saying its " normal".

Old 04-27-2009 | 07:17 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
First off , i'm shocked that a shop would get on this forum and do what he just did. This kid is 18 yo if i heard correctly. His story is grosly distorted and how unprofessional this has turned out to be. Out of respect for His father, I will not give a rebuttle at this time. However you can bet he will hear from me first thing this morning. My question is, why is this "Kid" being allowed to do this build ?
mmm.

First let me preface my comments by saying that I shouldnt assume things. I assumed your bike was stock and running perfectly when you took it in.

Now, reading HD110s post it is pretty darn clear that the "kid" knows more about twin cams than me and you put together mate. My BS meter was on a solid 0 when I read his post. He has nailed all the possible sources of your dramas and seems to be having a go at fixing them. Not sure that you can ask for more than that. Cant blame him for getting on here and telling his side of things, can you??

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:17 AM
Bigredone
Road Master

Sounds like the kid knows his sh*t. I doubt his dad would allow him to do the work if he didn't.

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:18 AM
Feedsack
Cruiser
Thumbs up My money is on the KID coming in first

Kid: Great job in explaining and not complaining.
You shouldve listened to your Dad, though

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:19 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Now that's a post.

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:58 AM
fxdxt03
Advanced

sounds like "the kid" knows his stuff. If i was you i would just let them do their job. you asked for it and after seeing his post your going to get more than a fair deal. im sure you will be giving them a real nice tip for goung the extra mile for you.

Old 04-27-2009 | 09:58 AM
jaymcgil19
Tourer

If I had an engine built I would expect to know a range of hp/tq the engine would come in at before agreeing to have the work done. I would expect the shop to advise me of any parts that SHOULD be changed (He was already complaing about money which I cant blame him on, times are tough, so I wasn’t even going to try to sell him a Feuling high volume oil pump). If I decline then it's on me, otherwise the jobs not done til it falls within agreed ranges.

Old 04-27-2009 | 10:00 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

When ya post an issue on a public forum about someone else, its only fair that the other party gets a shot at their side of the story.
I don't know how the HD110 found this article and knew it was about him, but it probably saved his business from loosing a lot of work if FLHXXHLF ever told who the shop was.
As far as the second guessing the shop's work, that is only normal if the customer doesn't know ya personally. If he didn't understand the facts as they were explained to him, he would certainly go searching for someone else to explain it to him to get him up to speed. On the other hand, when ya don't understand all the details as HD110 laid out, you're only kidding yourself to pretend to know without attending the schools that HD110 has attended to do that level of work. Your wasting the shop's time by having him explain it to ya. That's were ya should have asked yourself before ya ever went through their front door. Do I trust these guys with my bike for the work that I want done. Once the engine is opened up, it's to late to be quizzing them.
I'm just breaking in a stage 5 103 stroker kit on my scooter. I considered several shops for the work, but when I made the choice I stuck with it and stayed out of the mechs way. There were a few adjustments as they went through the motor which required a few more bucks, but I don't think they had a plan to nickle dime me on a package like this. I'm happy with the work and should have it back in for the dyno tune up soon.

Quick Reply: Strangest thing I ever heard.