Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the H.D. extended reach kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:19 AM
mndemohead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have the H.D. extended reach kit?

Im still having some problems with my knees bothering me on my R.K. I am thinking of buying the H.D. extended reach kit for my R.K. Does anyone use this kit? Does it make that much difference? How far does it move the boards? Im 6-1 and feel like im too cramped on the bike, and somehow need to move the boards down and out. I did install the corbin seat and it did move me back a little bit, but not enough. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 PM
mndemohead
Tourer
Default RE: Anyone have the H.D. extended reach kit?

nobody uses this kit?

Old 05-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have patience, it's the weekend. Everyone's been out riding.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:52 PM
DK
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Are you talking about the extended reach floorboards?

If so, I installed that on my RKC just shortly after I got it. It moves the floorboards forward about 3", it doesn't move them down though. It's basically the same boards with the mounts placed farther back. Don't forget the extended reach brake pedal as well or the stock one will be awkwardly in the middle of the board. I'm 6' and like it better than before. I also put highway pegs on which get plenty of use.

I also believe there are some aftermarket options as well.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:58 PM
kdvw47
Novice

Thought about this "issue" today.
I went from a Buell S-1 Lightning to an Electraglide. I'm 6'-3" and could not ride the Buell more than 60 miles or so with out getting off the bike. (Read old guy and back pain here.)

Went on a long ride on the Glide today but must admit to feeling cramped. So much so that I pictured myself in a sixth grade desk. My road pegs help but then my lower back starts bugging me.

The big issue for me is that I love my Buell for twisty roads and am in a perfect riding position on the Buell to blast the corners. "Blasting" corners on the Glide is like blasting corners in an easy chair. I find myself wanting to put my feet on the passenger boards, leaning forward and, well, blasting the corners on my Glide.

My compromise for now is getting a small Harley back rest for me and using my highway pegs for longer hauls. I do not want my feet further forward or further down for regular riding unless I can figure out a way to turn my Glide into my Buell when I hit the corners.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 PM
mndemohead
Tourer

Thanks for the input guys, as far as having patience I only wrote again to get it back to the top of the list so someone might acutally see it. Dont 02 and later bagers already have harleys extended reach brake pedal? I looked in The harley catalog and dont see anything other than an extended reach billet pedal.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:47 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you thought about a "Tallboy" saddle? My 02 already had the extended brake pedal on it. Also, highway pegs can give you a second position for those long legs.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Big Ted
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Good birds. I am 6'3" and the ride only bothers me if it is in great distances. Just riding around town doesn't bother me at all. And the highway pegs do wonders for a second position after I get tired of sitting on the bike for long periods. I also have the adjustable driver backrest. Couldn't live without that addition on long rides!!! That would be my suggestion.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:07 PM
mndemohead
Tourer

I have highway pegs, and they do help, but for some reason I am uneasy about having my feet so far away from the controls anywhere except the interstate. The odd part is, that my knees never bother me any other time except when riding my bike. I put a new corbin seat on the bike, and it did move me back some, but not enough. Im on my way to the H.D. stealer in a few minutes to pick up the extended reach floor board kit. I was hoping to hear from someone who already uses the kit and how they like it before I spend the money. But at this point I will try anything, because the way it is now I really have a tough time puting any amount of miles on the bike.