Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1K service worth it or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 1K service worth it or not

I have always done all my own service on my bikes. They were used...As this is my first new Ultra I have one question on the 1K service. The salesman told me it's fine to do all the work myself but it is real good to have the first one done at the dealership to double check the factory's work and adjustments. If I do decide to do it, I would be bringing it to the new Daytona HD which I have heard good things about. Problem is if I am going to give them 350 just to change to 3 oils...I can do that, but if they are going to go over the whole bike and make adjustments then maybe......

Thoughts ???? Thanks in advance.
PS I have the manual and will be doing all the following services.

Be Safe JIM

Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 PM
DaltonHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will they do everything but oil??

Old 04-25-2009, 08:01 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I felt it was worth it for the first one.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm taking my new Ultra in next week for the 1k service, I'll do most of the rest myself. I'll feel better knowing they've gone over everything the first time around - I kind of consider this the most important service.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

I do not think it is worth it myself, I do my own maintenance and repairs my self, and I find that the dealer always scratchs something on my bike, then we have to fight and argue about that, again not worth the hassle. The 1K service should consist of = check all critical fasteners, adjust drive belt if needed, adjust clutch and cable, grease fork tube, change all three oils primary, engine and trany.

The service manual specific to your model bike will show you how to do everything, a must have. I have done all the service work and kept reciepts along with documenting the work done on every Harley that I have owned, this will keep your warranty in tact if there are ever any questions by the dealer if a warranty issue arises.

If you do not feel comfortable doing the 1K service work than buy all means it is worth it to have the dealer do it.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails 1K service   worth it or not-harley-pics-all-done-019.jpg   1K service   worth it or not-harley-pics-all-done-017.jpg  

Last edited by Bill G; 04-25-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
mnskip
Tourer

I had them go through my bike at 1000 miles, but I changed over to Amzoil at 2500 and had to readjust my clutch. I believe my cable stretched a little, but it never was adjusted to my liking. At the time it was more for peice of mind then anything else.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:39 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I do not do my own service BUT even if I did I would let my dealer do the 1K. They are supposed to check and re-torque ALL critical fasteners, adjust clutch and change all fluids. I bring my own oil (Red Line) so I save on the materials, but IMHO I think it is worth it if nothing else then for peace of mind.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have a modest amount of mechanical inclination and like to work on your own vehicles then you'll have no trouble doing this yourself. Assuming you're meticulous and follow the manual and perform all the items on the list and keep your reciepts you'll be fine.

All you need is the Shop Manual for your bike, a torque wrench, the basic sockets and hex heads. A belt tensioner tool is good too. All these are one-time investments that will easily be paid for in the first maintenance. All the others will really be a savings after that.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
skyking
Tourer

Shoot, bring it to me. I'll do it for $350!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 PM
bmelby
Novice

I used to work in a dealership and every shop is different from the next one...our service dpt. took pride in the service we provided and the correct and clean work that we would do but I've been in several and know a few buddies that still work in dealerships and not all service dpts. do all of the things they should for a 1k service. A lot of them probly just change the oils and thats about it and you do take the risk of having someone inexperienced working on it and screwing something up or scratching something.
If you have the manual and want it done the right way and safe way I would do it yourself and follow the things to check for the 1k service in your manual...that way you know that everything is done right when you do it yourself.

Quick Reply: 1K service worth it or not