Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1K service worth it or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

My first service was include on both my 05 XL and my 07 FLHTC...Not sur ei would pay for it... just change the oil right? Breakin period.. What else are they gonna do? Make sure the bike runs right? Naw...

Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my dealer do the 1000, which cost me $279. I stay pretty busy so it works for me. The give value cards each time they service it, so my 5000 mile service cost $247. I change the oil myself at every 2500 miles due to the dusty conditions in New Mexico. I'm pretty happy with my dealer, they've always done me right.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:06 PM
ELGOLD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why waste the money at the dealer. You can take to an idependent garage. They will do a synthetic oil/filter change for under $150 and perform the inspection at no charge and even make any minor adjustments. There is no reason in my mind why I would pay the dealer upward of $300+ to tighten items that should have been taken care of at PDI for which I have already paid. It's amazing how complacent many Harley customers are when it is time to pay through the nose for average quality service. When you go to an indie, he is the man responsible for keeping you as a customer and will likely go beyond his duty to make sure you are satisfied witht the level of service. That is just my personal experience, I have found the dealer to be way overpriced and always offer a degree of indifference. That is not the way I treat my customers in my business and certainly not the way I want to be treated by a service provider.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:29 PM
418S
Elite HDF Member

For you it''s NOT worth it. I'd spend the money on a Service Manual, Parts Catalogue and oil then I'd spend what's left foolishly (beer / wine / women).

Old 04-26-2009, 06:48 PM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill G
I do not think it is worth it myself, I do my own maintenance and repairs my self, and I find that the dealer always scratchs something on my bike, then we have to fight and argue about that, again not worth the hassle. The 1K service should consist of = check all critical fasteners, adjust drive belt if needed, adjust clutch and cable, grease fork tube, change all three oils primary, engine and trany.

The service manual specific to your model bike will show you how to do everything, a must have. I have done all the service work and kept reciepts along with documenting the work done on every Harley that I have owned, this will keep your warranty in tact if there are ever any questions by the dealer if a warranty issue arises.

If you do not feel comfortable doing the 1K service work than buy all means it is worth it to have the dealer do it.

Ride Safe,
Bill G
Agree with above!!!! I had the dealer do the 1,000 mile service on my first new Harley a couple of years ago. What a mistake, they never changed the fluid in the primary, I'm guessing that they drained it and forgot to refill it completely. After a few miles of riding, clutch felt really funny. No matter how I adjusted it, wouldn't work right. So, I removed the inspection cover and couldn't see any primary fluid. Drained out what was left, refilled with fresh fluid, adjusted clutch and 6,500 miles later, one additional change and everything seems fine. Never greased the neck bearing, etc...
Never again!

Do whatever you are comfortable with, but, if you use a dealer check around with local Harley owners to find a dealership with a good service dept.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

I had mine done last year. I felt I got ripped ofF. The clutch was adjusted so bad it was hardly driveable. I complained and they came out and felt the lever without even starting it,LET ALONE RIDING IT and said thats the way its supposed to be. I ask, if it was the way it was supposed to be WHY wasn't it that way when I picked it up. Never was given a good answer. I'll never let that dealer touch my bike again. PERIOD. I'll service it myself or take it to someone qualified who can. Not the grease monkeys at the stealers.

The following users liked this post:
whocares (05-09-2017)
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good service departments, bad ones. Just gotta get lucky sometimes.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM
morz90
Novice
Default Spoked Wheels

Do you usually have a dealer or local shop check your spokes during the 1k, 5k, 20k service?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by morz90
Do you usually have a dealer or local shop check your spokes during the 1k, 5k, 20k service?
When I owned a Harley with spokes such as my previous 07 Road King Classic I checked my own and kept them tensioned properly with regular checks.( the service manuel can assist if you do not know how to check spokes or true spoke wheels) I do not let the dealer touch my bike unless there is no other choice in the situation.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails 1K service   worth it or not-harley-pics-all-done-019.jpg   1K service   worth it or not-harley-pics-all-done-017.jpg  
Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Money aside, the big advantage of doing your own wrenching is that you learn the bike. By doing the service and mods you will become familiar with the bike and have fun in the process. It is also safer because chances are, if you have trouble on the road, you'll recognize it and you may be able to get take care of it. It also helps when riding in groups if some of the riders are proficient wrenches.

Harleys are fairly simple machines. Jump in and have fun. Get the tools you need and have some riding buddies help over a few cold ones. Just my .02

Quick Reply: 1K service worth it or not