Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Never considered using this, but sounds like a good idea. Do you have to heat pipes first and use "hot" oven cleaner or do you use the cold oven cleaner?
Cold works fine, just let it sit for a little bit. And yes, SHIELD ANY PAINT. You won't like what it does to paint.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:01 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

don't spray the oven cleaner on the pipe. spray it on a cotton cloth, wash cloth, whatever you got as long as it's clean. and i disagree with using steel wool, although it's a temporary fix, it also creates very tiny scratches in the chrome, no matter how fine the steel wool. if you don't believe me, they say that only a diamond will scratch glass. bunk. many things are harder than glass. same rule for chrome. whatever is harder than the chrome surface will scratch it. go for spraying the easy off onto a cotton towel or cloth, then remove the burned in stain. works for boot heel, or shoe sole marks too. by spraying the easy off overn cleaner onto the rag rather than the pipe you won't destroy any other surfaces. if you decide to use steel wool, you'll eventually have to know how to remove rust from chrome. and that's aluminum foil and ketchup. sounds weird but really works. the aluminum foil to wipe the ketchup and to rub it with. and the acids in the ketchup, tomato and vinegar removes the rust.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:59 PM
titomalu
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could also use aluminum foil and coca cola. I use it all the time to remove rust and other things from my pipes. works like a charm.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 PM
KBrown53
Road Captain

S100 Polishing Soap is also good for light cleaning... may not take of stuff that is melted on. Also, wd40 can get stuff off well too.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:33 AM
beaucoup_dinkydow
Tourer

might want to try using a copper penny to scrape with.
copper is softer than chrome and won't scratch it.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:23 AM
semperfi2094
Advanced

Oven cleaner will do the trick Jarhead.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:25 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care how fine of grade the steel wool is it should not be used on chrome. It leaves scratches.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:33 AM
neonhomer
Road Captain

That and 0000 steel wool is hard to find. I had to go to three different home improvement stores to find it. I use it to try to get the rust of my bag rails. It does okay, but it is a stop gap measure, as it rusts again.

Unless anyone knows of a better way to remove surface rust from chrome.... Yeah yeah I know, once it rusts its going to always rust... but I am trying to slow it down.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use 0000 bronze wool

Old 10-24-2009, 08:04 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHarley
I don't care how fine of grade the steel wool is it should not be used on chrome. It leaves scratches.
No it doesn't. 0000 steel wool is perfect for chrome. Dip the piece of steel wool in wax and it will remove all baked stuff with no scratches whatsoever.
Been using it for years, even on custom bikes. Oven cleaner works too but it destroys paint so it has to be used very carefully.

Quick Reply: Chrome Cleaning