Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:30 PM
beracing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars

Well, now that the weather has warmed up, I've taken a few longer rides (250+ miles) and found I probably will have to change out my handle bars. Upper shoulders, right between my shoulder blades, are telling me something isn't right with my ride. I sort of knew this, as I've felt I have to reach too far forward, and slight lean forward, rather than being able to relax back and settle into the bike. Of course, I've not found anywhere where you can sit and trial fit bars to see which feel best, so makes it tough to know exactly what you want.

Got an 09 SG, I think just by reading some post here, I would definitely need more pull back, and maybe even a little more rise. I'm 5' 10", w/ a 34" arm length/sleeve length (if that helps). Want to be able to lean back more. I don't think I want apes, though mini's may be okay. Looking on here, Chubby's and Ergo bars seem to popular, but looking for some other touring riders, preferably SG's, to see what others have done.

Thanks!!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

see if you can try out a set of 13"s. i know it doesnt seem like it but they are very comfortable.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

ya i had the same knot right between my shoulder blades, whoever designed the stock bars has no clue, i run the klockworks ergo bars love them!!

Mike

Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Klock Werks Ergo Back Bar will put your hands in the middle of your mirrors. They gave me no pull back and increased the pain right where the neck joins the spine.

The bars must be rotated up so that they will clear the chrome that surrounds the gas filler cap when in a tight turn thus the hands in the mirrors (trust me your stock mirrors will become useless) and they must be rotated to the point that you will lose the back feature.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

beracing, i been having the same trouble with the bars on my 08 streetglide, and i'm six four. i end up setting the cruise control and riding with usually the left hand on the left grip. twisting the spine to accomodate the reach. what's with those designers anyway? a regular electraglide or ultra surely doesn't have the same problem. screw the fairing mirrors, they're good if you wanna see if your forearms are getting sunburned. gonna put stalk type mirrors on this week and perhaps find out if the pullback bars that are sorta hi buck in the p&a catalog are what i want. anyone have any suggestions? it sux that even as tall as i am, it's a reach, and ya gotta almost bend foreward at the waist to ride the motorcycle.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:05 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of Khrome Werks +2 Sweepers put on before I even picked up the bike. They work perfect for me, much better than the stock bars. I still have 1/2 the mirror sight left in the fairing mirrors...works for me. The bars a e reasonable too, $70. ( labor was $350 though, LOL) I've done my own bars twice before and they were a PITA. Was worth for me to have them do it. These pics are not of my bike but show a good comparison between stock and the +2 Sweepers and helped me make up my mind.
Larry

Attached Thumbnails 09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars-xba2.jpg   09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars-xba.jpg  

Last edited by SGLarry; 04-25-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:45 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The HD touring pull back bars worked for me.

I'm 5'9" with a 33 sleeve.

Only thing I changed was the bars (no cables or lines) and the fairing mirrors are still usable.

If you can do the job yourself, it will cost you about $125 with a 20% discount on the bars.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Is it possible that the bars are OK and the stock seat is the culprit? I believe there are seats that will move you a couple inches closer to the bars...

Old 04-25-2009, 08:42 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
beracing, i been having the same trouble with the bars on my 08 streetglide, and i'm six four. i end up setting the cruise control and riding with usually the left hand on the left grip. twisting the spine to accomodate the reach. what's with those designers anyway? a regular electraglide or ultra surely doesn't have the same problem. screw the fairing mirrors, they're good if you wanna see if your forearms are getting sunburned. gonna put stalk type mirrors on this week and perhaps find out if the pullback bars that are sorta hi buck in the p&a catalog are what i want. anyone have any suggestions? it sux that even as tall as i am, it's a reach, and ya gotta almost bend foreward at the waist to ride the motorcycle.
The loss of the mirrors is a side issue. It aggravates me that the only thing in the mirrors is my hands but the big problem is that as the Klock Werks Ergo Back Bars are rotated up the grips start moving in so the only thing accomplished is the raising of your hands. For me this meant more pain.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Open Road
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
The HD touring pull back bars worked for me.

I'm 5'9" with a 33 sleeve.

Only thing I changed was the bars (no cables or lines) and the fairing mirrors are still usable.

If you can do the job yourself, it will cost you about $125 with a 20% discount on the bars.
Same thing that we did with Terrie's 09 SG.......she's 5'7". It says that you can't use them with fairing mounted (Street Glide) mirrors however, after reading several other members posts on this forum we learned that's not the case. You just have to pull them back a little more. So we changed the bars only, no cables, mirrors or wiring. There's a spot where the bars are low enough to still use the fairing mounted mirrors but still high enough to be able to turn the forks all the way to the fork stops without hitting the tank. See photos attached. They show the grips in relation to the mirrors and the tank.

She rode over 500 miles in a day without the pain between the shoulders. I think we're finally ready for our vacation next month.

While you're at it, since you'll have it all apart and cost is negligable, you might want to consider changing to the one piece top clamp. It's a very strange feeling riding down the road and all of a sudden one side of the handlebars is no longer attached to the risers. That happened to me in 86 and fortunenately I lived to tell about it.

Attached Thumbnails 09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars-sg-modifications-1.27.09-002.jpg   09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars-sg-modifications-1.27.09-004.jpg   09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars-sg-modifications-1.27.09-014.jpg  

Last edited by Open Road; 04-25-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: 09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars