Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:51 AM
beracing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the input and picks! I rode up to my stealer this morning (hour ride) and he had a set of pull backs and set of stock bars they had switched out. Putting them together, could definitely see the extra length, but also, appeared to be a little narrower in width. (Didn't actually measure). Good to know about the cables, as he indicated I would have to have a new Clutch cable.

Mirrors on the other hand aren't really a biggie. I don't mind bar mounted mirrors either, and seen a number of SG's with them on there. If it becomes an issue, I'll just put a set on the bars.

Tks again for the input!!

Originally Posted by Open Road
Same thing that we did with Terrie's 09 SG.......she's 5'7". It says that you can't use them with fairing mounted (Street Glide) mirrors however, after reading several other members posts on this forum we learned that's not the case. You just have to pull them back a little more. So we changed the bars only, no cables, mirrors or wiring. There's a spot where the bars are low enough to still use the fairing mounted mirrors but still high enough to be able to turn the forks all the way to the fork stops without hitting the tank. See photos attached. They show the grips in relation to the mirrors and the tank.

She rode over 500 miles in a day without the pain between the shoulders. I think we're finally ready for our vacation next month.

While you're at it, since you'll have it all apart and cost is negligable, you might want to consider changing to the one piece top clamp. It's a very strange feeling riding down the road and all of a sudden one side of the handlebars is no longer attached to the risers. That happened to me in 86 and fortunenately I lived to tell about it.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:53 AM
beracing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Plow64
Is it possible that the bars are OK and the stock seat is the culprit? I believe there are seats that will move you a couple inches closer to the bars...
Yeah, I thought of that too, but I also have another Sundowner seat that seems to be same issue. I'll be looking to get a solo seat soon also, which may help too. Overall, I still think I would be more comfortable with a bar with a little more reach.

Tks!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:54 AM
EGlideKid
Road Master

I had the same problem, pain going across my shoulder blades was intense after just a few hours in the saddle. My fix was to install 2" pullbacks. This made all the difference in the world, now I can drive all day without the pain I used to get from reaching too far for the bars.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:55 AM
beracing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SA315B
The Klock Werks Ergo Back Bar will put your hands in the middle of your mirrors. They gave me no pull back and increased the pain right where the neck joins the spine.

The bars must be rotated up so that they will clear the chrome that surrounds the gas filler cap when in a tight turn thus the hands in the mirrors (trust me your stock mirrors will become useless) and they must be rotated to the point that you will lose the back feature.
Which Ergo did you put on your bike? The standard, or the Ergo Pull Back bars? They make three different styles of Ergos, so just wondering.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:10 PM
beracing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EGlideKid
I had the same problem, pain going across my shoulder blades was intense after just a few hours in the saddle. My fix was to install 2" pullbacks. This made all the difference in the world, now I can drive all day without the pain I used to get from reaching too far for the bars.
Was that the HD bar, or someone elses? I've trying to determine the exact specs on the stock bars on my bike, so I can look for bars know what each spec is in regards to the stock bars.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 AM
yelowdog
Intermediate

i went with taller bars 13" mirrors are under the bars way more comtertible and sit more upright also went with badlander seat

Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 AM
WIKD1
Cruiser

I'm hoping someone has some info. I have a different problem, it's my wrists. The stock bar kicks in too far and makes my wrists ache. I need a flatter bar and am not sure how to judge that as the pullback will tell you how far it comes back but not at what angle.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
carden260
Intermediate

13" Apes are the way to go. I put a set of cyclesmiths best mod so far. +5 on cables and your good to go.

Attached Thumbnails 09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars-bahamas-and-harley-042.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had the Khrome Werks +2's installed and I love them. They come up and back and also offer a better (straighter) wrist position. Great bars for the money.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beracing
Which Ergo did you put on your bike? The standard, or the Ergo Pull Back bars? They make three different styles of Ergos, so just wondering.
Ergo Back Bars, as I said the bars must be rotated up so that they will clear the chrome that surrounds the gas cap and they have to be rotated to the point that you lose the back feature.

Quick Reply: 09' SG - Suggestions/Feedback New Bars