Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped fairing nut

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 PM
udnudn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped fairing nut

06' FLHXI - top bolt(one of the three that catches the windshield), outer fairing spinnin. I remember seeing a post or two about the fix/repair for these. I'm hopin this is a small task compared to the throttle cables I just replaced. Thanks, TT

Old 04-24-2009, 10:19 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The replacement insert that you would need is #16585-96. It has an external 3/8-16 thread for threading into the fairing cavity and an internal thread for the fairing screw. It is a self tapping insert. Contrary to popular belief, the slot in the insert is NOT for a screw driver. It is for the self tapping application. The best way to install this is to screw a hex head screw into the insert and drive the insert into the cavity using a socket wrench on the hex head screw.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had to replace mine on an 08. The HD dealer has replacement brass threaded inserts. I don't remember the part number but they are so common the dealer will know what you are asking for, they are not expensive either.

They have a slot on one end, and some forum members think the slot is for a screw driver to drive the new insert in with but that is wrong. The slot end goes in first and the sharp edges of the threads where the slots are cuts into the bore and re-taps new threads. Use a fairing screw screwed into the new insert to drive it in to its bore. Works like a charm amd you will never have them come out again.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's easy to fix. I'm sure someone will have the part number but it's just a little brass piece that is threaded inside & out. Pull your old one out and screw the new one in. Some say to put super glue on them first. I didn't, mine went in tight. I used a bolt, screwed into the new threaded piece, with a jam nut on it, then screwed it in to the inner fairing. Remove bolt from new threads and your done.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 PM
udnudn
Cruiser
Thumbs up

appreciate ya'lls help, looks like a trip to the shop and they'll know what I need. What's involved in gettin the old one out?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

You can try several different things. You can try jacking it out by threading a longer bolt into it and tightening the bolt into the bottom of the hole. Another method is to heat the insert area with a hair dryer and pulling the insert out. This is my preferred method.

Last edited by soos; 04-24-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 PM
udnudn
Cruiser

I was thinkin, screw the bolt in the insert 3/4 ways and ****** the bolt head with some needle nose vise grips and work it out if possible. Prolly waste the bolt, but I bet they sell more. LOL Reckon that'd work? I ain't likin the idea of HEAT on the plastic.?? When you heat the area what do you use to pull the insert out?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

You don't have to use excessive heat, that's why I use a hair dryer as opposed to a heat gun. As for a bolt to use for grabbing, any 1/4-20 hex head or any bolt of that size can be used and you don't have to ruin the OEM screw.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 PM
udnudn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by soos
You don't have to use excessive heat, that's why I use a hair dryer as opposed to a heat gun. As for a bolt to use for grabbing, any 1/4-20 hex head or any bolt of that size can be used and you don't have to ruin the OEM screw.
Gotcha, sounds like a plan.

Ridin and Bass Fishin huh?? YOU ARE ALL RIGHT BROTHER!!
I have a place @ Toledo Bend, come on down, I'll leave the light on.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Dayum, that is one sweet platform. You don't know how tempting that offer is.
Originally Posted by udnudn
Gotcha, sounds like a plan.

Ridin and Bass Fishin huh?? YOU ARE ALL RIGHT BROTHER!!
I have a place @ Toledo Bend, come on down, I'll leave the light on.

Quick Reply: stripped fairing nut