Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passanger Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009 | 02:32 PM
myred55
|
Road Master
Default Passanger Backrest

On the Ultra Classic's passanger backrest (tour-pak backrest) there is an opening between the seat and the bottom of the backrest. The wife was asking me if there is something that can be installed in that area for more lower back support. Anyone know of an HD or aftermarket pad that can be installed? Has anyone made something for that area?

Old 04-24-2009 | 03:00 PM
bunerosa
Cruiser

guy i ride with has one i"ll ask him and let you know

Old 04-24-2009 | 04:54 PM
myred55
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bunerosa
guy i ride with has one i"ll ask him and let you know
Thanks!

Old 04-24-2009 | 04:57 PM
Rafkin
Cruiser

I am going to subscribe to this thread, I am looking for the same thing for the wife. She has a bad back from an accident. Loves the Ultra but was wishing for a little bit more support in the lower back. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/biggrin.gif

Old 04-24-2009 | 05:28 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master

Add my wife to the list. We both have backs that are not 100%, but I can tough it out for an all day ride. She has to get off and walk around for a bit every 1.5 hours or so. the first thing she said to me after her first ride was, "There's no lower back support for me!" The last ride we went on, she ended up stuffing a rolled-up towel in the gap.

We spoke to another lady passenger, and she swears by using a kidney belt and spandex cycling pants under her jeans to "keep everything in place", whatever the heck that means.

So, if anyone comes up with more passenger back support, count me in!

Old 04-24-2009 | 07:09 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

My wife and I have the same issue plus I made a plate and moved my tour pak back 1.5". We went to Cabela's a few weeks ago and bought our rain gear. Wife came home put hers into a harley helmet bag and is in the process of putting velcro strips on the tour pak and helmet bag to keep it in place she puts it behind the tour pak flap We have gone on two 250 mile rides and she says that is the ticket for her but also has gone to wally world and bought a small bean pillow that she puts behind the tour pak flap it conforms to the shape of her butt and lower back.
Works for us and didn't cost much.

Last edited by santajim; 04-24-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2009 | 08:14 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Individual Modern Ingenuity (IMI) is what my Grand Pappy use to call it and it sounds like some of you folks have got it by GOD!!!!!!....Keep up the good work!!!!Cause if it works USE IT!!!!!!.....LOL....

Old 04-24-2009 | 08:54 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior

I was looking at that issue myself today. It looks like the leather pad that is already there can be removed with room for expansion. I am thinking any auto upholstery shop could add some foam to it as desired?????

Old 04-24-2009 | 09:43 PM
grasman
Cruiser

If your wife/girlfriend can sew, your in luck. I took mine off, had a friend cut the threads on the bottom stuffed it with foam and sew it back up. One thing to keep in mind, if you put in to thick a piece of foam or padding, you won't be able to fold over the top with the plastic strip that hide the screws when you reattach it. Remember, you lift the pouch up to access the screws, or at least you do on an 09 Ultra. I did not realize the issue until I went to install it back on the bike. Not a big deal, but you can see the two screws that secure the pouch to the tour pack.

Hope this helps

Jack

Old 04-24-2009 | 10:18 PM
cap5369
Road Master

Originally Posted by grasman
If your wife/girlfriend can sew, your in luck. I took mine off, had a friend cut the threads on the bottom stuffed it with foam and sew it back up. One thing to keep in mind, if you put in to thick a piece of foam or padding, you won't be able to fold over the top with the plastic strip that hide the screws when you reattach it. Remember, you lift the pouch up to access the screws, or at least you do on an 09 Ultra. I did not realize the issue until I went to install it back on the bike. Not a big deal, but you can see the two screws that secure the pouch to the tour pack.

Hope this helps

Jack
grasman - I don't know if it was you that posted that in another thread or not, but I did the same thing when I read that, and it works great. My wife used the pillow with the beans in it last year and road 3500 miles on our trip and had no issues. She really likes the new pad with the foam that forms to your body.

Quick Reply: Passanger Backrest