Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg Wired System

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 AM
rdx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawg Wired System

I recently purchased the PSC1502 150 watt (75Wx2) amp with the CX504-70 CX speakers and the dyna absorb for my SG. My initial impressions are that this is a very nicely packaged system and looks to be excellent quality. I wired everything up and put the bike back together (thanks GasCan for the Fairing removal tips on your stereo sticky). Everything works as it should, I can tell a difference over stock for sure.

I do have more volume than I did with the stock setup, but I have to say Im disappointed in the output. I can hear the system around 50mph, but if Im around 65 -70 its really lacking and sounds like a miniture toy radio. I should also note that I am running the rush slip on and not a full exhaust and I have the setting on the xover & the gain set where Hawg Wired advises in the instructions. Im not bashing Hawg Wired, just looking for guidance.

So maybe one of you guys with the same system could give me some advice or is this all I can expect?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM
maxflhx
Tourer

I don't know about Hawg Wired but I feel the same about the Biketronics 75x2 amp with Polk/Momo speakers. When youre on the highway it just doesn't have enough volume and almost zero bass. I'm thinking about trying the 6 1/2 speakers to inprove the sound quality.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 AM
sortasuave
Tourer

I've done a lot of playing with this and I'll agree with you guys..

It's super easy to make a sound system sound good while the bike is not moving, but put 75MPH into the equation, and all bets are off.

Thus far, I'm pretty convinced there is little you can do to get good bass out of a system at highway speeds. The air at that speed is just not stable enough for the speakers to move it like they would need to for bass.

6.5" speakers do help a lot. But it's still not the end all to this challenge.

Question for you guys, what height of windshield are you running? I'm wondering how much this plays into the solution. I'm currently running a 6" (bat wing) . I'm starting to think going to a 8" or a 10" would be far better. Just not sure I want that much "protection"...

Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Call HW and speak to a tech to confirm your installation. I recall a post by a guy who felt his HW install didn't perform well and was certain he'd installed it per HW's instructions. Called HW and learned he didn't do the install correctly and, after fixing HIS mistake, raved about the product.

Also, if you have a low windshield or wear a half helmet/no helmet I don't know how you will hear much from any system at 50+ mph.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

ya dosent seem quite right to me either , I have the same setup and its really loud, what are you using for a source? do you have the amp switch set to, full or high? and is the polarity correct to each speaker? I'm currently considering upgrading to the 4 channel so I can run 2 6X9's in my bags as well.

Mike

Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 PM
sooie
Tourer

that really sucks
i just did my hawgtunes and they are kick azz
could not be happier

Old 04-24-2009, 01:36 PM
hellmut73
Cruiser

So mike300 are you saying that you really like the hawg wired? I was looking into the same system.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:45 PM
rdx
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses.

Answers to your questions...1) I changed out the 4inch windshield for a 6.5 and I wear a beanie. 2)I have the amp set on High Pass. Are you recommending Full? 3) I am using the stock HK.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

rdx I have the same system you have and feel exactly the same way. BIG TIME DISAPPOINTED
60 mph or less it kicks ***.
65 or higher and sometimes I just turn it off.
If I didn't know what was playing, I wouldn't recognize it at Highway speeds.

I had the frequency set where they showed and I turned the radio up full volume, set the gain to just before it starts to distort.

I called Hawg Wired and here's what they told me, the frequency shuts off the bass. So the higher the frequency is set, the louder you can play it. But it will have less bass. So I turned up the frequency, then turned up the gain until it distorted, then backed it off a little.......and this helped with a little more volume. But the sound isn't as good....and still not anything good, like people say they have at highway speeds.

I need to play with it some more, but I get tired of taking the fairing all the way off to do all this.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:29 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by hellmut73
So mike300 are you saying that you really like the hawg wired? I was looking into the same system.
Yes, i'm quite happy, maybe you guys are just expecting to much? there is no way its gonna be great with 2 5 1/4 " speakers, just aint gonna happen at any price.

Mike

Quick Reply: Hawg Wired System