Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing Amsoil oils together

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:55 AM
3birds1x
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Amsoil oils together

My R/K I bought 3 years ago, the original owner always ran Amsoil. I thought it best to keep running the same oils. I bought about 3 years worth of oil from a near-by dealer. I ride about 3K a year and change my oil right before winter storage. The dealer sold me 20w-50 AOR (I think) it is the type that can go in cars trucks bikes etc, he said the MCV was the same oil and for what I do the AOR (i think its called) would be fine. Last falls oil change used up my oil and left me 1/2 quart low. This time around I got the MCV speech about how it has gear lube in it and it would be better (he only had MCV on hand not any AOR) to get AOR he was going to charge me about $10 less on the case and I would have to wait a week. Anyhow he said it would be compatable with my AOR oil in the bike right now as I don't want to drain out $35 worth of oil. Anybody agree it's compatable or not?

also he said it could go in the tranny and saig if I didn't like it he would replace it with the gear lube for me, will it shift better or end up noisier any ideas?

I currently run 20w-50 motor 10w-40 chain case SVG gear lube 140? in trans

Thanks all

Old 04-24-2009, 05:02 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Thumbs up

Personally, I'd say to continue to run gear lube in the tranny - it's full of gears, after all. No engine oil has the shear resistance of a high quality gear lube. Sounds like the combo you're using is working, so why change it?

I use Redline lubes myself, but Amsoil is a top of the line lube system too.

Good luck and ride safe,

John

Last edited by jpooch00; 04-24-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Heath
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MCV does not have "gear lube" in it, it is just formulated differently and it qualifies as a GL-1 gear lube. This is all that is required in these bike trannys. The regular gear lubes are typically GL-5, they have high levels of extreme pressure additives for more strenuous situation like in a auto differential. These can be used in bikes and they are quite often, but aren't required.
The ARO does not meet or maybe was never tested to meet GL-1 so don't use it in the tranny. Either oil will work in the engine and primary. Neither has friction modifiers so they are both wet clutch compatible.
If I had to chose, I'd use the MCV, it is formulated specifically for these air cooled engines and the additive package is a little different.
The combination you suggest will work.