Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 550 Still worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 09:58 PM
buckwheat
|
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zumo 550 Still worth it?

Good evening guys,

A friend of mine down in the southwest told me that an electronics store is going out of business and has a display Zumo 550 for $419 (and he thinks its going to be further discounted down another 10%).

It appears to be complete with handlebar mounts, etc.

Given the fact that the price of GPSs are dropping like a rock, is the Zumo 550 still worth the money? I'm thinking the final price on this would be somewhere in the $350 range...

Smaller display, but still a pretty cool unit... Thoughts?

Old 04-24-2009 | 03:28 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd jump on it for $350. I have one and it is a great unit. I don't think that the fact that the 660 is out depreciates the 550 below $350.

Old 04-24-2009 | 05:18 AM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy it before someone beats you to it. You wont be sorry.
350.00 is about half price.

Old 04-24-2009 | 06:15 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 550 and it's a steal at those prices. I'd only upgrade for the bigger screen, but I can still see my screen fine, even at 61. I have the XM and bluetooth for phone so what's not to like about it!

Old 04-24-2009 | 07:10 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550 for half the price of the Zumo 550.

Old 04-24-2009 | 07:39 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think the 660 is an upgrade over the 550. My understanding is the 660 is missing some of the stuff the 550 has.

Old 04-24-2009 | 08:43 AM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain
Thumbs up Go 4 it!

Originally Posted by buckwheat
Good evening guys,

A friend of mine down in the southwest told me that an electronics store is going out of business and has a display Zumo 550 for $419 (and he thinks its going to be further discounted down another 10%).

It appears to be complete with handlebar mounts, etc.

Given the fact that the price of GPSs are dropping like a rock, is the Zumo 550 still worth the money? I'm thinking the final price on this would be somewhere in the $350 range...

Smaller display, but still a pretty cool unit... Thoughts?
Jump on it, this is a no brainer!! I love mine!!

Old 04-24-2009 | 08:46 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

Tell me where it is at. I'll buy it right now, and I have one.

Old 04-24-2009 | 08:47 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't buy it...i will I love the one i have, and i dont' fall into the "there is a new one, so i have to get that" mold. Not that the 660 isn't a great GPS, but i don't think its better than the 550, and certain not enough superior to make me even consider getting rid of my 550.

Old 04-24-2009 | 11:46 AM
gregsworld
Tourer

Well, I'll jump in as the negative. I bought this unit and think it is the worst of any of the Garmin's I have ever owned, and between boats, cars, and cycles, that would be about 10 or so over the past 20 years. I absolutely HATE that they could not find a way to enclose a water resistant speaker. For that price, I should have expected a set of stereo Bose. I thought I'd use it in the car, so Garmin successfully got me for another $100 for the auto mount. Ouch. Once you get the mount, try getting it to stand staright up on the dash instead of attached to a window. No chance. And as for charging this unit somewhere OTHER than on the bike???? HAHAHAHA. What a nightmare. Garmin decided to make the unit chargeable only when it is turned on. Yes, I am smart enough to understand that this is to keep you from drawing on your battery when the bike is turned off. However, I am also smart enough to turn the da** thing off when I leave the bike. Ugh. This unit has sat in the box it came in ever since. I plan to use it on a 2500 mile trip this Summer on my RG. In the car, I have stuck with my c330 Garmin, which was cheap, smaller, quicker on the touch screen, has the same maps installed, and a far better speaker INCLUDED. On my Warrior, I am still using what I consider to be Garmin's best unit the i3. This tiny beast was discontinued a few years back but can be had on eBay for a bargain. No, it is not waterproof, but this tiny monster has an enclosed speaker that I can hear at 80 mph plus. AND, like what is a huge fault with ALL Garmin units, the batteries are replaceable. And geez, is it reallt that hard to throw a sandwich bag over the unit during rain? For the $400 difference, I can afford an awful lot of sandwich bags.

Sorry to be a huge downer on these Zumo units, but as an owner of one, and many other Garmins, I cannot understand the attraction to the Zumo line. Yes, I know that the waterproof feature has to be the main draw. But, for $500 PLUS ???? No way. I wish I had never bought mine.

Flame away !
Greg

Quick Reply: Zumo 550 Still worth it?