Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? For the audiophiles ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ??? For the audiophiles ???

Hi Gang,

I am currently in the selection stage for all of my audio updates.

I have a few questions concerning the equipment.

1. I am going to install a DVD with 7" screen, and have been looking at all of the specs & such for weeks. One thing that really sticks out is:

** On the less expensive units, the pre-amp volt output is usually 2 volts. On the more expensive units, the pre-amp volt output is 5 volts.**

How big of a difference is this in the end, if I am going to run an Alpine PDX 4.150 ??

2. I am going to go with either the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6 1/2's in the batwing & 5 1/4's in the Ultra rear spots, or the Boston Acoustics in both.

Any opinions ?? And ,..............what size wire should I use for speaker wire ??

3. Is there a big difference in the RCA cables that I run ??? Any suggestions on the best ones to buy ??

4. Do I need to install any switches/ relays, etc. , for safety of the system. ( Now I have an "empty" switch that was hooked up to the rear speakers.

5. I want to do this ONCE and have it be RIGHT the first time. Money is not really an object, if it results in a better end product.

Thanks in advance !!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the bike you wont notice a big different between the 2 volt and 5 volt output, but 5 volt is tech. better... ill get back to you on my opinion of the rest. i was trying to subscribe

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 04-22-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:12 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you have specced some high end gear, should sound unreal.

The reason for higher head unit output voltage is to combat noise. The vehicle environment is an electrically noisy one.

Your amplifier is receives a low voltage from the head unit and increases it to a higher voltage (and current). This voltage is the music. The problem is, electrical noise may be present and that too will be amplified resulting in alternator whine, ignition noise, etc. If you turn the amplifier gains down, the electrical noise is amplified less, but so is the music. The higher voltage head units put out more so you can still get satisfactory volume with the power amp gains reduced thus the system sound to noise ratio is improved!

Wires are like oil, people beleive certian ones are better without any real evidence. In my experience you def can not hear any difference between $4 and $40 RCA leads.

Dont get carried away with speaker wire size either, your speakers will come with wires and they might look small but they are right...

Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Hey, you have specced some high end gear, should sound unreal.

The reason for higher head unit output voltage is to combat noise. The vehicle environment is an electrically noisy one.

Your amplifier is receives a low voltage from the head unit and increases it to a higher voltage (and current). This voltage is the music. The problem is, electrical noise may be present and that too will be amplified resulting in alternator whine, ignition noise, etc. If you turn the amplifier gains down, the electrical noise is amplified less, but so is the music. The higher voltage head units put out more so you can still get satisfactory volume with the power amp gains reduced thus the system sound to noise ratio is improved!

Wires are like oil, people believe certain ones are better without any real evidence. In my experience you def can not hear any difference between $4 and $40 RCA leads.

Don't get carried away with speaker wire size either, your speakers will come with wires and they might look small but they are right...
as far as wire size, the 4.150 will def. need 8 gauge wire... really 4 guage, more on this later...

glacier, i really suggest using a arc 4ch mini for now (not the alpine, which is what i have), pm firecap for specs and tell him i sent ya...

Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
PEZ
Tourer

Hey there

The voltage out of the radio is important, however the voltage means little without the line impedance rating to go along with line voltage. The line impedance is more attractive the lower the number is. Think of the line voltage like the fuel line going to the motor. The bigger the fuel line is the more attractive it may appear, but without any pressure to carry that fuel, the larger line isnt so good to the overall bikes performance.....

Eclipse was the first company to make a big deal about line out voltage. Their early radios were 2.8 volts out at 200 ohms. 200 ohms is considered a low impedance (good). The lower the line impedance the better the sound. As the line impedance goes up, the less lower bass and higher treble can be reproduced. Some cheaper radios today boast 5v out but the actual line impedance is about 2000 ohms--the radio is really bad! When I was still with Rockford in Canada, they had a radio that was 5 volts out at 50 ohms and it kicked a$$! Today, since the average consumer doesnt know about the ohm rating, many companies claim a 5v out, but the line impedance is so high, the net sound is poorer than a 2 volt radio at 500 ohms.

Alpine should have the line out and line impedance somewhere on their site. I think they still care about this stuff. Even if you find a decent 5v deck with decent line impedance, you need to make sure you have an amp that can "take" that much signal going in. If you find the Alpine 5v radio has a good spec, I would most likely stick with one of their amps as well. If your going to mix and match amps and radios, I would stick to a good 2 volt deck with low line impedance--PEZ

Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 PM
PEZ
Tourer

And another thing--if you want any chance of it sounding good--stay away from Monster cable...others are way better for less money IMHO. Anything from Rockford or IXOS you can find online with "Gamma technology" is very good at noise rejection, and sounds good.

PEZ

Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks so far for all the tips !! I will have to check the line impedance of some of the models I like.

Really like the Kenwood KVT-819DVD unit.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ent/KVT-819DVD

Old 04-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

A couple good explanations here but seriously, on a bike it really doesn't matter. Just stick with a decent brand of HU and you will be ok. That Kenwood is a decent HU but I perfer Alpine. One of the best combos I've had is an Alpine W200/H701 and I'm still using it in my truck. Seriously, you are thinking TOO much into this set-up when you start talking about pre-out voltage and RCAs. If you are really that serious about it, go with balanced lines like on (my favorite) Zapco amps! That takes care of any noise in the lines you could be worried about but wont hear riding down the road anyway (if you set-up everything properly).

I remember when Eclipse came out with the 8 volt units...I had to have one. I ended up going back to Alpine because of Alpine's usability.

Pez, I think you are talking about the infamous Denford (8250). It was a HU made by Denon rebadged as a Rockford.

Last edited by Big Twi$t; 04-23-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brypink
A couple good explanations here but seriously, on a bike it really doesn't matter. Just stick with a decent brand of HU and you will be ok. That Kenwood is a decent HU but I perfer Alpine.
The top of the line Alpine , IVA D106, doesn't seem like it compares to the top of the line Kenwood, KVT-819DVD.

Kenwood has 2 1/2 times more preamp voltage.

Kenwood has 3 EQ bands, Alpine 0

Kenwood has "security code" function, along with detachable face. ( thieves know that this unit is worthless without the passcode)

Kenwood has STANDARD auxiliary & USB inputs

Kenwood has USB memory cardslot

Kenwood warranty is 2 years, compared to Alpine 1 year

These things are ALL very important to me !!

If you are gonna spend the $$$ that I am, I would like the most BANG , and options for my buck.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:52 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm gonna sit and watch how this thread progresses! First to see the what we come up with and second to read, Maybe hear, th reply from PEZ!

Ride Safe and intently waiting! Mike

Quick Reply: ??? For the audiophiles ???