Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??? For the audiophiles ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
The top of the line Alpine , IVA D106, doesn't seem like it compares to the top of the line Kenwood, KVT-819DVD.

Kenwood has 2 1/2 times more preamp voltage.

Kenwood has 3 EQ bands, Alpine 0

Kenwood has "security code" function, along with detachable face. ( thieves know that this unit is worthless without the passcode)

Kenwood has STANDARD auxiliary & USB inputs

Kenwood has USB memory cardslot

Kenwood warranty is 2 years, compared to Alpine 1 year

These things are ALL very important to me !!

If you are gonna spend the $$$ that I am, I would like the most BANG , and options for my buck.
Yeah, flip-outs are a dying breed and Alpine usually jumps on the trend wagon early. That explains why they have only one flip-out that is mediocre. Like I said...that Kenwood is a decent HU, I'm not knocking it. Chalk it up to I'm just loyal to Alpine...my W200/H701 combo is very versatile and the epitome of SQ. That's just my opinion. I don't want this to be an Alpine vs Kenwood war.

Also like I mentioned before, when you start looking at voltage of the pre-outs and RCAs it starts to be a moot point on a motorcycle install. One of the biggest, most important equations of an install is exactly that...the install. Sound deadening, imaging, time alignment, xover settings, active or passive, a capable electrical system and then more sound deadening, etc (not to mention a sub and enclosure). These are all factors that really do not matter in a motorcycle install. To me it just does not make sense to sweat the small stuff without concentrating on the install as a whole. Seeking out some of the other features (USB, security, etc.) of that HU, sure.

Something that is VERY important though...a big part of buying mobile audio is buy what sounds good to you, what makes you happy, what makes you feel good.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PEZ
Hey there

The voltage out of the radio is important, however the voltage means little without the line impedance rating to go along with line voltage. The line impedance is more attractive the lower the number is. Think of the line voltage like the fuel line going to the motor. The bigger the fuel line is the more attractive it may appear, but without any pressure to carry that fuel, the larger line isnt so good to the overall bikes performance.....

Eclipse was the first company to make a big deal about line out voltage. Their early radios were 2.8 volts out at 200 ohms. 200 ohms is considered a low impedance (good). The lower the line impedance the better the sound. As the line impedance goes up, the less lower bass and higher treble can be reproduced. Some cheaper radios today boast 5v out but the actual line impedance is about 2000 ohms--the radio is really bad! When I was still with Rockford in Canada, they had a radio that was 5 volts out at 50 ohms and it kicked a$$! Today, since the average consumer doesnt know about the ohm rating, many companies claim a 5v out, but the line impedance is so high, the net sound is poorer than a 2 volt radio at 500 ohms.

Alpine should have the line out and line impedance somewhere on their site. I think they still care about this stuff. Even if you find a decent 5v deck with decent line impedance, you need to make sure you have an amp that can "take" that much signal going in. If you find the Alpine 5v radio has a good spec, I would most likely stick with one of their amps as well. If your going to mix and match amps and radios, I would stick to a good 2 volt deck with low line impedance--PEZ
Originally Posted by PEZ
And another thing--if you want any chance of it sounding good--stay away from Monster cable...others are way better for less money IMHO. Anything from Rockford or IXOS you can find online with "Gamma technology" is very good at noise rejection, and sounds good.

PEZ
I agree!!

also check out the JVC KD-AVX77, its what i am thinking about using, i got tired of the whole flip out and clarion... but i always change things up...

Old 04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtsdesigns
I agree!!

also check out the JVC KD-AVX77, its what i am thinking about using, i got tired of the whole flip out and clarion... but i always change things up...
GTS...I'm kinda diggin' that HU!!!! In all my years of dabbing around in car audio I never used a JVC HU but this one has me intrigued...and a decent price to boot!

Do you have any experience with JVC's iPod interface?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brypink
GTS...I'm kinda diggin' that HU!!!! In all my years of dabbing around in car audio I never used a JVC HU but this one has me intrigued...and a decent price to boot!

Do you have any experience with JVC's iPod interface?
yes, with the avx44, worked just fine... friends have the older models, works fine for them too, along with the blue tooth, which i would nver use...

anyhow, i got the jvc for an awesome deal... so i am going with that...