Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Brother hit a deer doing 60 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 01:23 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default My Brother hit a deer doing 60 MPH

Just a safety wake up for all of us. I post it here, because I have an FLHRCI. Heading for home yesterday, my brother (riding his '02 Heritage) was doing about 60 MPH on a rural highway in eastern Washington State (Deer Park do be exact). It was about 7 pm, so light was not a problem, but crtitters are looking for cover. He had met his wife for dinner in town (Spokane) and were heading towards home - she was followoing him in their Jeep... he was doing the routine glance in his rear view mirrors to see what was behind him and make sure she was still there, then looked forward and there it was - right in front of him - a deer. Instinct took over, it was too close and he bailed. He's not sure exactly what he did, but it was too close to do anything, so he launched himself. Both he and the bike hit the deer, but the bike got the worst of it. His wife said it was almost as if it went down in slow motion. Both he and the bike tumbled, tossed and rolled. Deer was dead on impact, but he was much more fortunate. When I listen to him tell the story from his point of view, and listen to her account of the incident from behind, it scares the crap out of me. My brother was transported to the hospital in Spokane, and after all the testing, walked away with only a few stitches on his elbow where he had a deep laceration. The bike is toast, but we still haven't got the final verdict on this from the insurance company. His leathers look like they'd been dragged behind a truck for awhile.

I wanted to pass this on to all, so you have some more good information to make choices. He was in full leather (Heavy Jacket and Chaps) as well as wearing a full face (flip up type) helmet. Based on where the marks were on his helmet, if he were wearing a 1/2 helmet (like the one I wear) he wouldn't have a face right now - food for thought. Also, on hot days, I'm hesitant, but will ride in a T-shirt (and he had in the past too). Had he not had is leathers on during this incident, he would have no shoulders left, nor would he have an arm.

Not trying to be self ritious, 'cause I know the cool factor weighs in here when it comes to what we wear when we ride.... but had he chosen the fashion route on this day, he would either be dead right now, or worse.... if you know what I mean.

When I talked to him in the emergency room last night, he said several things, but these stick in my mind. 1). He said "It was my fault... poor judgement in that fact that I broke our cardinal rule (his and mine) .... "IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, AVOID RIDING ANYTIME EVEN CLOSE TO DUSK OR DAWN". I am a long distance rider, and I live by this - so does he. 2) Also, he said "I DON'T CARE HOW HOT IT MAY BE.... DON'T SHED YOUR GEAR".

Sorry for such a long story, but this hits so close to home for me for many reasons, but I wanted to share this all with you too so that maybe I can reinforce what we all feel deep down inside, but sometimes don't want to admit - WE ARE VULNERABLE !!!

Good news is, all is well with him, and maybe I can talk him into a bagger now.

Just wanted to share and give us all a little safety "Tune-up"

Ride as safe as you can, wear the gear to keep you that way..... and enjoy. I still have my brother, and I am very greatfull !!!!

Old 05-06-2006, 01:32 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Brother hit a deer doing 60 MPH

Please forward this message to him for me;

I wish you a speedy and full recovery!

chappy

Old 05-06-2006, 01:37 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing, glad to hear your brother is OK

Old 05-06-2006, 01:38 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing, glad your brother is ok. The bike can be fixed or replaced.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:45 AM
LordZahn
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear your brother is ok. Wish him well and a fast recovery.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:56 AM
fignuton
Cruiser

Glad to hear your brother will be okay. I wish him a speedy recovery.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8631/C9DDADC5B93749BEBEC786FFA1022C7A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-06-2006, 01:57 AM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad he is doing good, I try to wear my leathers all the time, do not hardly wear a helmet but, hearing these stories, which seem to becoming more and more, might have to start wearing it. Do not know much about deer but, from your comment about dawn and dusk I gather these are the times they are out the most? Gotta lot of critters out here, the coons and possuim I can run right through butm the deer worry me, there is plenty of them out here and all the places we ride.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:09 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

The fact that 60 people have hit this thread in about 30 minutes makes me feel good. BTW, I am heading from Washington to Tennessee and back in late June and wondering if someone is heading that way and looking for someone to ride with?

Let me know.... Bro's not going now....

Old 05-06-2006, 02:14 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

I can't afford to stop riding around dawn and dusk...I'm a night shift worker who commutes by bike whenever possible. To keep safe these are the principles I keep in mind...

1. maintain a high alert level...constantly scanning ahead of me and side to side; the people behind can worry about themselves.
(easier to stay focused for short distances, like my 16 mile commute)

2. Cover the front brake and keep right foot on floorboards near brake...reducing reaction time.

3. Ride in the portion of the lane that gives me the greatest ammount of room to manuever either left or right.

4. Probably most important, I leave early enough that I can ride SLOW...giving myself more time to react.

5. Whether it works or not, I've been running one of those "hornet" electronic deer alerts for the last two years roughly. The road I take to work runs along the Minnesota river bottom, and I have routinely seen 30-60 deer on my way home in the mornings.

Glad your brother survived to ride another day...stay safe everyone.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:57 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the post...best wishes to your brother.

Quick Reply: My Brother hit a deer doing 60 MPH