Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes Bluing so soon??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:01 PM
gregwaa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipes Bluing so soon??????

I just posted this question in the tech section but wanted to know what u guys and gals thought,
Nov 2008 Purchased a new(9 Miles from Dealer) Ultra Classic Aniv Issue from the dealer. They delivered it and other then starting it from Nov to now occasionally (for short periods of time) I pulled it out to do spring cleaning(The bike that is,chuckle) I noticed that my Pipes r bluing.
Not just at the cylinder heads but my right pipe is bleu down by the right foot rest.
I wasnt sure if this was normal so soon and figured id get your expert opinions before i called the dealer.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks and ride safe.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:05 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The dealer will tell you it is normal (mine did). It is caused by the lean running engines and low cost (to H-D) pipes.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
The dealer will tell you it is normal (mine did). It is caused by the lean running engines and low cost (to H-D) pipes.
Same thing here! Bike way way lean..
I am in the process of saving up for a set of Rinehart tru duals. The heat shields on these is better grade.

Ride em till your ready to change out. That's what I'm doing.
Good luck

Old 04-21-2009, 01:00 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at any H-D, it's the nature of an air cooled engine, it does occur sooner on these new bikes with the emission friendly fuel calibration, but won't be covered under warranty. just ride.....

Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Years ago we used to run a little Wynns Top Oil with the gas on a new bike. It seemed to put a little carbon in the pipes to keep them from turning blue.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregwaa
I just posted this question in the tech section but wanted to know what u guys and gals thought,
Nov 2008 Purchased a new(9 Miles from Dealer) Ultra Classic Aniv Issue from the dealer. They delivered it and other then starting it from Nov to now occasionally (for short periods of time) I pulled it out to do spring cleaning(The bike that is,chuckle) I noticed that my Pipes r bluing.
Not just at the cylinder heads but my right pipe is bleu down by the right foot rest.
I wasnt sure if this was normal so soon and figured id get your expert opinions before i called the dealer.

I was wondering how warm you got the engine during the winter. Did you run it for a while? I am surprised it blued so fast.

I agree - the bikes a very lean.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 PM
raines96+
Intermediate

The pipes are going to do it regardless of a lean or rich set up. I just put on Bassani header pipes and during the 750 mile break in of the new motor those pipes turned in color and I know it was running rich, only getting 32 mpg. I would just ride it and not worry about it...

Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gregwaa
Sounds like the same experience I had in '06 with my new '07. I noticed the bluing in the area of the pipes that is not covered by a (gap between) heat shield (near your right foot) very early on. It's a combination of bluing earlier because of the leaner running motor and noticing the bluing because of the uncovered space. You can cover it with a third heat shield that covers the gap manufacutred by Kuryakyn or you can buy the CVO heat shield that is longer and eliminates the gap (see below).

65694-05A

Fits '00-'08 Touring models. Original Equipment on '05 FLHTCSE/2 models.

MSRP US $99.62

Attached Thumbnails Pipes Bluing so soon??????-cvo_heat_shield_m_1cd6b.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009, 03:32 PM
gregwaa
Cruiser
Smile Thanks Guys

I guess i shouldnt worry about the little things, But all clean and shiny it sucks to see a 6"strip of blue pipe, Oh well.
Mad,,,,,,,I ran the bike very little during the winter,3 -4 minutes tops just to get the battery charging and the oil Moving.
I appreciate all the responses, yur a great bunch of BIKERS.....
Enjoy and ride safe...Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I wonder if any of that stuff they sell that says it removes bluing from pipes works???

Quick Reply: Pipes Bluing so soon??????