Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes Bluing so soon??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:54 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Do a Stage 1

Investin a Stage 1 upgrade, with a decent fuel management system, and get that bike running the way they're supposed to.

They're running way to hot/lean coming off the assembly line.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
deluxe drew
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregwaa
I guess i shouldnt worry about the little things, But all clean and shiny it sucks to see a 6"strip of blue pipe, Oh well.
Mad,,,,,,,I ran the bike very little during the winter,3 -4 minutes tops just to get the battery charging and the oil Moving.
I appreciate all the responses, yur a great bunch of BIKERS.....
Enjoy and ride safe...Thanks again.

You should never start your bike in winter storage unless you plan on riding it until it warms up fully then for an extended period to burn up any internal moisture. The worst thing for it is to start it for short periods (3-4 minutes) especially in cold climates, because the moisture wont burn up, and it can then freeze inside the motor and cause you some serious headaches. I think it even tells you not to do so in the manual's storage procedures.

Get a battery tender if you want to keep the battery charged... Don't need oil to circulate if the motor isn't running... You should change it before/after storing anyway...

I dont winterize my bike, I just keep riding in the rain/cold.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:42 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gregwaa
I ran the bike very little during the winter,3 -4 minutes tops just to get the battery charging and the oil Moving.
Your comments regarding running the bike for only a few minutes when being stored for the winter reminded me of something I was taught many years ago. My understanding was never run a motor unless it has time to come up to temperature or it will do more damage than good. Something about sulfur dioxide, a by product of combustion, combining with moisture to produce sulfuric acid.

Any experts want to chime in on this one.