Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Shocks from Motorcycle Metal

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:10 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ohlin Shocks from Motorcycle Metal

I hate the stock SG air shock so I just ordered Ohlins in 13 inch from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. He was very informative. I am really looking forward to trying these.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing and lowering suspension

I am thinking of doing the same along with replacing the front suspension too. But my goal along with improving the ride and handling is to lower the bike at least an inch from where it is now. The rear of my 09 SG is already lower but not enough for me. So I am wondering just how low I can go?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
ny rider
Intermediate

i lowered mine 2 inches in the rear using shocks from bitchin baggers i havent had any issues with bottoming out i also lowered the front 1 inch but i dont ride 2 up and i weigh 130lbs i would talk to ohlins or ron at bitchin baggers they are very helpful and imho have a great product i also changed my seat to a hd badlander its a little more narrower than the stock seat so you gain some inseam and it also feels a bit lower good luck

Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm actually raising my bike because I liked the ride of the longer shock much better. I am willing to put up with not being flat footed all the time. I think my Corbin saddle is slightly lower but if it is it's not by much. I'm 5"10 with 31 inseam. Boots with thick sole help alot.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pay attention to Howard... He knows suspension.

I got some Penske's from him last year.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 AM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser

Already spoke to Howard at Motorcycle Metal, and I am going to have him do my forks and drop it at least an inch at the same time. Just not sure about the rear yet. I'm 170lbs and 90% of my riding is solo. I am just spoiled by low bikes in the past and want to get my SG as low as practically possible. There are just so many options for the rear and very mixed reviews. I'll probably go with Howards solution on the rear too, just not sure about how low to go.

Last edited by ShooterSteve1953; 04-21-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 AM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ny rider
i lowered mine 2 inches in the rear using shocks from bitchin baggers i havent had any issues with bottoming out i also lowered the front 1 inch but i dont ride 2 up and i weigh 130lbs i would talk to ohlins or ron at bitchin baggers they are very helpful and imho have a great product i also changed my seat to a hd badlander its a little more narrower than the stock seat so you gain some inseam and it also feels a bit lower good luck
How is the ride quality with the lowered stock shocks?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
I'm actually raising my bike because I liked the ride of the longer shock much better. I am willing to put up with not being flat footed all the time. I think my Corbin saddle is slightly lower but if it is it's not by much. I'm 5"10 with 31 inseam. Boots with thick sole help alot.
You are raising the front at same time, right? Don't think it's a good idea to go with longer shock on back(raising rearend) and not raising the front.

Others can give a better opinion.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
I hate the stock SG air shock so I just ordered Ohlins in 13 inch from Howard at Motorcycle Metal. He was very informative. I am really looking forward to trying these.
Let us know if the improvement is worth the expense. Penske and Ohlins are just about the most expensive shocks on the planet. I'd like to here your impression on these and if you experience a $1000+ improvement. There are lot's of places to spend a grand+ on a bagger and I'd like to know if the benefit matches the cost.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM
MrWrestlingII
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Let us know if the improvement is worth the expense. Penske and Ohlins are just about the most expensive shocks on the planet. I'd like to here your impression on these and if you experience a $1000+ improvement. There are lot's of places to spend a grand+ on a bagger and I'd like to know if the benefit matches the cost.

You're right on the Penske's they are very expensive ($1,000+). The Ohlins 36e shock for HD baggers is not nearly that expensive but also does not have rebound/compression damping adjustments or a piggy backed reservoir.

Howard is building me a set of 13.3" Ohlins which I'll be receiving soon. I'll report back on how I like them.

Quick Reply: Ohlin Shocks from Motorcycle Metal