Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I want to do this & can I do it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Gator KStenz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I want to do this & can I do it myself?

I just picked up a used 07 FLHX. Previous owner had some Rinehart slip ons on it that are black in the body of the pipe. They look very good, so I don't really want to change them out.

What I'd like to do is change out the air cleaner. Primarily for looks, but I wouldn't mind getting a bit more hp or performance, too.

I like the looks of the Roland Sands Venturi air cleaner. Couple questions:

1) Could I just bolt the new air cleaner on and be fine.

2) Would it help if I purchased the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner?
2b) If I purchased the SE Tuner (with the instructional DVD), is it something I could handle tuning myself or would I be getting in over my head as pretty much a novice.

3) Or, am I at the point where if I want a bit better performance and a performance air cleaner, I need to look at new pipes?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:33 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you add an air cleaner with the pipes you will need some sort of fuel management. Adding an air cleaner will make the bike run leaner than stock. I would recommend Fuel Moto and the Power Commander. They are a site sponsor. Do some searches to read the reviews here and give them a call. You will appreciate the cooler running bike and more power.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
dagnabit9
Cruiser

+1 on the fuel management system. You'll see noticeable improvement in performance (at least I did) and your heat factor will be reduced also.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since slipons were already added, I guess I would also check to make sure the air cleaner hasn't been changed out already which might signify a tuner is already installed. As was said, changing air filter will cause engine to run leaner than what is already too lean from the factory so you will want to do something. Basically get the pipes, ac and tuner that you want and you will be much happier and so will the bike.

pipes-tune not mandatory.
air cleaner-tune necessary
tuner---necessary for more fun.

Oh, you can do it all and save a bunch of money but I would advise to have it tuned by a pro on a dyno. Canned tunes work ok but it does depend if you want to stretch that little extra out. If not, canned is fine and will run ok in most instances.

Last edited by harleybill2008; 04-20-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Gator KStenz
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice.

I had asked the previous owner about the air cleaner or a tuner. He said he was told when he added the slip ons that he would be fine since they were just slip ons. So, he didn't do anything else.

My last two bikes were purchased used and had the sound and performance I wanted. So, this is a bit new to me and may sound a bit stupid. The tuner is what you guys are referring to as 'fuel management', correct?

It sounds like a new air cleaner and the Screaming Eagle tuner would be okay with the current pipes and then I could change the pipes down the road if I want to get even more performance? I don't have to stretch every last hp out of the bike, but would like a bit more than what I have.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Go for it