Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VELVA-RIDE motor mount review

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default VELVA-RIDE motor mount review

To sum it up in one word, "HORRIBLE!"
Let me explain. I have an '06 SG and have been using the Buell front motor mount which is actually the old 79B. This mount works great except that my bike eats them up every 3 to 5K miles.
The newer 79D rattles my teeth so I won't install that one again.
After doing some research I recently installed (yesterday) a Velva-Ride mount. It's acceptable at idle but my floorboards now vibrate like nothing you've ever felt. Let's just say it's a foot numbing experience and takes the joy out of riding.
My SG does vibrate more than the average bear and I suspect my flywheel may be the problem. I have complained to the dealer and Harley since this bike was new, even had a factory rep check it out. Of course they say those classic words, "it's normal."
So, since I can't afford a new bike or new flywheels I'll have to search for another bandaid. A motor mount that works for me.
Any suggestions?

Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a great riding '04 EG so I have no experience with vibration problems, and only replaced the front motor mount 'cause I thought 53K was enough for the original mount.

I also used the HD alignment tool and used Method A to check alignment of the swingarm/frame/engine. Many who do this find significant alignment change/improvement.

If you haven't already done the alignment, I'd do it before spending more $$$ chasing a front motor mount fix.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an 06 RK with the velva ride front mount and it works very well IMO. Maybe there's a bit more floorboard vibration at speed but I certainly wouldn't call it foot numbing or even uncomfortable.

I suspect you have some other problem either with your bike, the mount installation or your expectations.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a thought , but it worked on my last bike.
I was just trying to make it as smooth as it could be , so I fiddled with the front mount a bit.
While the bike is idling , have a friend sit on the bike and hold it straight up , loosen the through bolt (while it is running) and watch to see if the mount moves in any direction.
Tighten the through bolt and test ride it again.
The top and front links will keep everything aligned while you take the stress away from the front mount , the mount can now move in a more natural axis and may help reduce some vibration.
Worked pretty good for me , not an earth shattering difference , but it was better.
Also check the "hang" on the right muffler under the saddlebag , sometimes a slight upward or downward adjustment makes a difference.
I had to move the right saddlebag support up about 1/2" and it made some difference in the muffler mount preload.
If you have a stabilizer , make sure it is adjusted correctly also.
Mick

Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is working great so far. One thing I read before installing is that toruqe values on the bolts are critical for proper function. Just a thought...

Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Velva-Ride and I think it's great.

But to answer your question, Alloy Art makes a front mount that eliminates the motor mount altogether.

http://www.alloyart.com/products/trilink.html

Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 PM
jagonza1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I hav had the velva rides on fxr's road king and now my roadglide. normally love them. the one on roadglide has been on bike about 20,000 miles and the neoprene dropped through the bracket this weekend on a trip through colorado. never seen that happen before but time to replace it none the less. Also you are probably right on the fly wheels. my 03 scissored 2 years ago had to replace them. did the 07 ones and big bore for a 103 did a lot of work cast 7 grand by the time I was done. I should have bought a 110 crate motor or a 120. that may have been cheaper although 102 hp and 110 torque is fun

Old 09-03-2013, 02:24 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sta-Bo or Glide-Pro front motor mounts, both similar urethane "floating core" design, can't tear or rip out a cast-in steel sleeve insert. They allow the engine to articulate without transferring all the vibration to the chassis. The material is also resistant to petroleum accelerated deterioration. These things just plain work. Its hard to define "excessive" vibration or shaking in these motors. I see in your signature, you have yours dyno tuned, but are the individual cylinders tuned or does have it the more common "average" tune, where both cylinders are running off one map. I have an 06 also, and they do not incorporate the O2 sensors to maintain the target map, so they are more sensitive to tuning inputs, and less capable of adjusting to fuel and changing environmental conditions. When the front and rear cylinders are tuned independently, the vibration can be reduced dramatically, inversely, being off just a little can make them shake a whole bunch more.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 PM
dodger413
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

after riding my night train softail for years, i bought a 07 electraglide police bagger.
i couldn't believe the shake of the motor in the frame, especially at a stoplight. and this was new. couldn't understand how you bagger riders put up with it.

after 4 years, 24k miles, the shake was excessive.

replaced motormount with a Velva-ride and was, and still am, pleased. it works well.IMO

Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM
ses
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced the OEM front mount on my 06 at 48,000 miles. I installed the Gide Pro mount and have been satisfied with the product. I had used the velvet ride mount on my old evo a few year back and didn't notice any reduction in vibration. I would buy the glide pro again when that time arises.

Quick Reply: VELVA-RIDE motor mount review