Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the fins on the jugs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning the fins on the jugs.

How is everyone cleaning the edges of the fins on the jugs on their scoots? I have used S-100 on the black but cannot get the edges of the fins to look anywhere clean. The bike is an 04 and it has spots the won't clean at all and the rest does not look any better. I am very deligent on my cleaning of the bike, heated garage kept, covered while in the garage, etc... I have tried "Nevr Dull" and it did not work either. Now what?!?!?!

Last edited by SecondChance!!; 04-19-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:42 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easiest clean I ever found was Pig Spit. Didn't even have to wash it first...just sprayed it on. Even with dust on the fins they came out looking great...

Old 04-19-2009, 06:57 PM
binkman78
Club Member

Mothers Chrome polish with 0000 still wool - let dry - buff off, takes time but worth the effort.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

I use GUNK FOAMING engine cleaner. Does the whole thing, including tranny & underside. Rinses off easy. Works every time & looks like new.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I used Pig Spit this weekend on my 00EGC, the motor looks like new. All I did was spray it on.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Fireman44
Tourer

Pig Spit works great on the black but a good chrome polish with extra fine steel wool does a good job on the bare parts of the fins. Use the pig spit first to keep any polish from getting on the black parts, some additional stuff would be a six pack ,it is time consuming.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 AM
MAINETRAIN
Stage III

Ugh! Time consuming, I was affraid of that. Guess I don't have to try the nevr-dull. I am using simichrome with a rag. I'll have to get some steel wool too I guess. This sucks because I can't help getting that damn paste on the black. Does S100 engine bright help keep them from getting corroded again?

Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow,you guys must have a lot of spare time for cleaning fins!

Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireman44
Pig Spit works great on the black but a good chrome polish with extra fine steel wool does a good job on the bare parts of the fins. Use the pig spit first to keep any polish from getting on the black parts, some additional stuff would be a six pack ,it is time consuming.
Tom from http://harleygoodies.com/ here. This is a tried and proven method if you have all the time in the world.

Regards,

Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 05-30-2009, 04:28 PM
phattey
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SecondChance!!
How is everyone cleaning the edges of the fins on the jugs on their scoots? I have used S-100 on the black but cannot get the edges of the fins to look anywhere clean. The bike is an 04 and it has spots the won't clean at all and the rest does not look any better. I am very deligent on my cleaning of the bike, heated garage kept, covered while in the garage, etc... I have tried "Nevr Dull" and it did not work either. Now what?!?!?!
Do not use steel wool. Instead use the red scothbrite pads. They cut just enough of the aluminum when rubbed with good pressure. What you're trying to do is go deeper than the blemishes on the fin edges. The only way to do that is to have the pad actually rub away the metal getting down to new clean metal.

My '05 CVO seeg had discolored fin edges after a while. I tried steel wool, i tried products, and I tried a demel tool. BEst of the best was the scotchbrite pad. Rub the edges of the fins long ways with even pressure. Do a small area till you feel like you're getting the hang of it. You'll have to rub pretty hard and be careful not to hit the powdercoat or it'll take it right off.

When i had finished, it really looked almost like new. Some of my blemishes were just too deep. After I did it, i sprayed wd-40 on a microfiber towel and carefully rubbed it on the fin edges. you can use whatever you want for that, like pig spit, or other prodcuts. wd40 works really well after you clean of the edges for a good protectant.

No kidding this works really well. I found the pads at ACE and sometimes they're in grocery stores.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the fins on the jugs.